How is Unlimited Arena feeling for casual play right now?

My buddies and I have pretty much always played small games. We’re looking forward to restarting Warmachine soon (holiday schedules, I’ve got a ton to paint, etc - life gets in the way). It seems like everything is done for Unlimited? How are folks finding it?

We will likely be doing 50 point games. In Mk3 we were doing 15-25 point games. This is TOTALLY beer & pretzels gameplay :slight_smile:

edit: And the new Mk4 armies are technically not eligible for Unlimited play, is that correct?

2 Likes

Correct the MKIV armies aren’t part of the unlimited arena. That said nothing stops you from playing an unlimited army against a MKIV army. The unlimited games I’ve played have been fine. My group also plays very casually. We started at 50pts but have been doing 75pts for a few months

2 Likes

Nice. I think seem to recall there’s a potential for power imbalances due to all the wacky Unlimited combinations that the new MKIV stuff might not keep up with.

1 Like

Yeah. That was kinda how they framed it during development. I can see the potential for crazy stuff but I haven’t seen anything within our group that didn’t seem fair.

1 Like

I figure the big games (100 points) might do it. But we sure don’t have the time for those anymore!

This is sorta correct? Mk4 Armies aren’t Unlimited Armies, but Unlimited is a superset of Prime, not a standalone format. You can 100% play Prime Mk4 or Legacy Armies vs Unlimited Armies.

6 Likes

I’ll also add that there’s a slight extra wrinkle for Cygnar and Khador: Mk4 Cygnar and Khador models cannot be in the same list as Legacy Cygnar and Khador models, even in Unlimited.

2 Likes

Works for me. I think my friends like jank a lot. We don’t keep up with competitive/meta stuff, and one of them will homebrew stuff. Seriously, beer and pretzels! I kind of wonder if maybe we’ll homebrew an updated Company of Iron out of this.

1 Like

While I hear that I can also say the home brewer is NOT going to care one bit :stuck_out_tongue:

That said, I think he’s also done buying armies. He’s got Skorne, Grimkyn, Crucible, and Infernals.

As long as nobody is playing Una2 Unlimited is sort of fine for casual play :wink:

1 Like

As pointed above, MKIV “are part” of Unlimited in the sense that you can play a MKIV Army vs any Unlimited list in an Unlimited Match

Is not in the Unlimited section of the list construction, but that part is about construction, not matches, and it divides things so every Army is in only one place.

2 Likes

If you’re playing Unlimited Arena, I wonder if Brawl Machine holds up. The point size probably just needs to be adjusted from 25 to 50 due to warjack points not being a thing.

We play 50p with brawlmachine scenarios and FA1 and it works great.

But now the new SR is previewed so Brawlmachine will probably go the way of the dodo :slight_smile:

1 Like