Pushing/Charging 80mm vs Defenses/Scatter

First, lets say my Siege Tarask hits and damages an enemy Invictus with its harpoon. Between the two models there is a barrier and a piece of scatter terrain which is an obstacle.

Per the push rules Invictus stops when he contacts an obstacle. Then, the obstacle is removed from the table. Is that the end of the push? Nothing is blocking his way any longer but nothing in the rules suggests you would resume the movement. I certainly love the idea of a massive warjack being towed through a debris field smashing through everything, but would like clarification.

Second, lets say Invictus attempts to charge the Siege Tarask through the same terrain. Invictus does not have Pathfinder and cannot charge over a barrier normally. He moves toward the Tarask, stops when contacting the barrier, barrier goes away, then what? Failed charge? Keep going? The charge rules offer a bit more than the pushes do for this situation. They say:

So in this case if Invictus can move through the barrier he can keep going. But he can’t actually move through it, it just goes away instead. There is a similar issue presented when charging with Bulldoze. You stop, push the model out of the charge lane, but you aren’t actually able to go through the model so you cant continue and nothing in the rules suggests you can resume the charge once the path is clear.

Is the intent that for charges/pushes if the way is made clear during the movement that you can continue the movement?

4 Likes

Been wondering the same thing about Invictus charging over defenses, but waiting until after the update to ask. When talking it through with a few other people IRL, we concluded that Invictus can probably keep charging.

The Trigger rules indicate that when two rules trigger at the same time, the active player choose the order that they resolve (in the case of a charge, Invictus’ owner is the active player, unsure who is active player when Invictus is being dragged). Furthermore, after resolving each trigger you recheck for triggers, and if the condition is no longer met, the effect does not resolve. So, once “contacts an obstacle” triggers the two rules, the charging Invictus player can choose to resolve the “remove the defence” rule first. They would then recheck the trigger, and now the defence is no longer there to trigger “stop the charge when contacting an obstacle,” and therefore Invictus keeps on going. Alternatively, Invictus’ controller could choose to resolve “stop moving” first (eg. If Invictus had assault maybe the player just wanted a bit more range but didn’t want to complete the charge). They would then recheck triggers, and because Invictus is still contacting the obstacle the obstacle is removed.

All of this said, until there’s an official developer or infernal ruling I’m going to talk this through with my opponent before each game and defer to their preference (or TO for a tournament

).

One more question. Do flying models ‘contact’ defenses when advancing over and thus someone like Wyvern or a big balloon removes them? I’d say yes but wanting to make sure.

Yes, that’s spelled out in the rule

For the first question when invictus contacts the defense he will stop when it is contacted, remove the defense, then the movement of the push will stop

The second question the terrain or defesne in question will be removed and invictus can continue its charge per intention. (Better wording will be used to support this)

5 Likes

Is there a reason for the difference between the 2 cases (ie why a push would be stopped but charge wouldn’t).

Is it active vs inactive triggers as discussed, or something about the push vs charge rules?

The charge rules say that the model does not stop but it is considered to have contacted the object if the model has a special rule that allows it to move through. The push rules don’t.

1 Like