New monsters for IK

So this is my girlfriends idea, she starte(read as just started) to creat monsters based on brazilian folklore, the first draft of the Despoiler warpwolf
based on the Despoiler werewolf and i belive there are two more types of “new” warpwolfs the Dead warpwolf and the Dragon warpwolf, and more, but that i will let her post as soon as she surpasses her dread of fandoms and online comunitys.

1 Like

If it makes you feel any better, this particular community is about a million times more humane than a typical online community. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

That sounds awesome, would definitely love to see them :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Looking forward to see what she comes up with. Lore wise in particular1 :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I can spoil the lore and context

lore

Even after centuries of refining the rituals and the elixir that create warpwolves, the blackclads know they can never fully tame the Serpent’s transformative power. One proof is the existence of Despoiler Warpwolf, rare creatures that appear with different abilities than their more “common” counterparts. Rather than having control over their warping adaptations, the Despoilers must consume the heart of a powerful creature, thus gaining physical traits and capabilities according to the prey’s nature, which last until the warpwolf consumes the heart of a different beast. In this way, even maintaining the general lupine appearance, they can have horns, hooves, plates and even poison. When the moons are full, Despoilers experience a random variation of these abilities, being most intense at the conjunction of the three full moons. In the latter case, this experience can be brutal, with the transformations lasting all night, causing the warpwolf to collapse exhausted the next day.

These beasts are not only rare because of the nature of the ritual that creates them, but also because of their high mortality. These predators always crave bigger and more powerful game, which eventually leads to death. It is not known if they are able to sense vigor or magic in their prey, not even in their human form can they discern any reason. On the other hand, Despoilers are relatively unknown in civilization, as even when the first transformation occurs in a populated area, these creatures only kill to satiate their hunger before going on the trail of some larger and more powerful prey. Even so, they will spare no effort to tear apart the unwary who stand in their way. Despite this behavior, Despoilers do not attack other warpwolves other than in mating competitions. Their distinctive characteristics are not passed on to purebred offspring.

When they discover that a warpwolf ritual has created a Despoiler, the blackclads immediately set out to track down and capture the creature. That’s because this beast can end up attacking the Circle warbeasts or going after tamed pure-blood trolls, which can generate diplomatic crisis that the Circle is often unwilling to deal with. Despoilers can also wreak havoc on wild beast populations, crippling sources of new warbeasts. Despite the problems, a Despoiler attached to a warlock is a powerful and adaptable tool that the blackclads won’t reject.

Brazilian Folklore Curiosities: the Despoiler Werewolf is one of the werewolf Brazilian legends. These are wicked humans that need to wallow in the soil when other mammals previously wallowed to gain its external traits. The result is a monstrous, quimeric man beast with traits of one or more creatures, like dogs, pigs, cows or donkeys. After the transformation, that is pleasant to the monster, it will roam the roads and forests of the region, attacking those it finds, mainly unbaptized babies and pregnant women, drinking their blood. The werewolf legend was brought to Brazil by the Europeans and here it gained new characteristics. For example, Brazilian werewolves never have the form of a wolf (only in the name), but of domestic animals, and they don’t need the moon to transform. Instead, they need to perform a ritual: on Thursday to Friday nights they feel an uncontrollable urge to go to a secluded place, take off all their clothes, tie the shirt 7 knots and then hide it. Then it will wallow on the ground, rolling 7 times from right to left in a place where a domestic or farm mammal animal has recently wallowed. After this they will transform. Other variants of the Brazilian werewolf legend are the Dead Werewolf and the Dragon Werewolf.

1 Like

I like where it is going. Looking forward to see what she has come up with!

I’d love to see a FMF version as well. I assume that is wishful thinking :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Here it is the thing it is for FMF

1 Like

Then I can use it for The Undercity, Widowers Wood and MK IV narrative play :star_struck:

2 Likes

As a context we are a FMF/unleashed playgroup, i one of the gms, how to put it lightly, im not a fan of D&D(AC, saving throws, class base design in my view are outdated systems) and one of our player hates 5E with a passion(he loves in deph meticulous character customizarion, a game where almost all the choices are made for you at 15% progresion would rub him the wrong way) and even one of our most casuual players has called 5E too easy, so we had 0 interest on transitioning to Requiem

I tend to steer away from fan fiction/creations because it’s often inconsistent with existing lore, or doesn’t even bother to make sense.

But the “Despoiler” Warpwolf seems like it fits right into the setting. One can see how its existence makes sense, and there’s even a reasonable explanation to why we haven’t heard of it before. Considering how much of Iron Kingdoms is inspired by our world’s folklore, the origin of this creation isn’t too far-fetched either.

1 Like

Just a little previw of what shes doing while gathering courage to join the comunitu hub
Screenshot_20230829_221631_WhatsApp
Keep in mind it is incomplete and i croped a piece of the artwork

3 Likes

Amazing work! Can’t wait to see and read more

1 Like