Coolest solo in the game (across all factions) in your opinion

‘Rule-of-cool’ is what is important here, not necessarily the most murdery (although that’s cool too).

What is the model that gives you the most fun, cinematic, vibes? Forget their output or efficiencies, what makes you want to put them on the table just because they enrich your gaming experience?

4 Likes

As an AC player, obviously, the Devine Tempest is the murderiest and Phaetheon might have style to burn, however for me it’s the goodest of doggos, the nightcrawler of solos, the humble Nekosphynx.

This good boy runs about, teleports into someone’s backfield, takes a bite and a swipe before ‘bamf’ he’s reappeared somewhere else entirely.

As an owner of large dogs (Leonbergers to be specific), the Nekosphynx strikes me like some over-eager puppy bounding about having the time of its life. Whenever he gets activated, even if they don’t achieve much, I just have the biggest smile on my face. For me, its just a model infused with ‘fun’.

2 Likes

I am a big fan of Aurelion. And though identified as male in the fluff, I’m sure PP got mixed up and she is female. :slight_smile: I just love her-half hidden somewhere and shooting unsuspecting troops and channeling furies over and over. And yes, I do like her model.

3 Likes

I love the Empyreans’ concept of heroes who don’t look like epic-pose humanoids. Aurelion and Exercator Nix are both so great!

But my vote goes to the Paladin Siegebreaker. As I describe him in another thread, he’s like Robocop and Battletech had made a baby together.

3 Likes

I am very partial to the Ranger Outrider as the coolest solo in Warcaster, but I also think Phaetheon Wraith form is a strong contender too.

3 Likes

I really like Artemis Fang. Her pose is super dynamic and expressive, her vest has a Han Solo-esque vibe going on and I just hands down love gun mages. So she ticks all my boxes :slightly_smiling_face:.

4 Likes

Agreed, easily in my top 5! Such a cool model. With a Marcher World friend, we have had many discussions on how it climbs ladders, lol. We are working on a ‘velociraptor leaping’ hypothesis (Jurrasic Park-like) at the moment, forgoing the need for rungs at all :slight_smile:

1 Like

At risk of repeating: Phaetheon, Divine Tempest, and nekosphynx all have cool plays.

I am fond of the humble marauder too: just a chunky boi with a humble Minigun and claw hand. They were one of the defining pieces in the initial release: the clown car play of dropping a pile out a gate to stand there and hold ground.

So AC I am hopelessly conflicted on. Among AC wild cards I have a soft spot for Baron the bloody vampire aristocrat: more as a concept and model than an interesting table piece. Jax also has a cool backstory and interesting tabletop rules

Since you asked about all factions, I’ll take it that way and aim to be a bit more decisive elsewhere

Marchers: the outrider is cool: who can’t like giant Dino cavalry

ISA: hmmmmmm, I like Voss as a ‘sword mage’ theurge. With plenty of offensive and defensive abilities. The siege breaker is tempting as a super-marauder, as is the regulator Reeve with a whole lot of interesting utility abilities: not flashy but a good toolbox

Empyreans: Aurelion is probably the most interesting of the pure Empyreans: I love weavers that modify their furies (by armour piercing or recycling them). Special mention to all 3 Empyrean wild cards as corebus, Harlan, and Myra are all fan favourites.

Ok, I failed to be decisive, but those are some thoughts on cool solos :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Mooregrave, might be because i like ttrpgs but he seems like he could be a very versatile npc.

2 Likes

Now that you mention it… You’re absolutely right. Within the same campaign he could be an antagonist, an ally (maybe in a “better the devil you know” context) and a background character who moves and shakes things. Someone who the players have to deal with but can never quite trust his motives.

2 Likes

I love the aesthetics of Artemis Fang and Corebus.

3 Likes

I really like how much about the baron is left open:

• Is he aware of (the extend of) his blade’s powers?
  • Is he really in control of the blade or is it controlling him or is he “addicted” or “dependent” on it?

Definitely great opportunities for role playing.

2 Likes

In my head canon, Barons sword ‘Oblivion’ is related to the witchfire blade from Iron Kingdoms

1 Like

To add to that. Emp have a prison called the “Oblivion Hold”. Which I think could be in the Void. I speculated before that 5th or 6th faction might be a group that was active in the early stages of the Emps conquest, and the made artificats. I though this was interesting because combine with the Harlon Sek Void phaser thing and the life sucking artifacts it looks like true “Void” is an open door of possibilities. The Void might be the biggest link lorewise between the Cryiss Galaxy and Caen. What if the void links to another plane like with Infernals? My rambling aside lol, what I mean is that Oblivion might be closer related to IK than it seems.

1 Like

In fairness, my real head canon is that oblivion IS the Witchfire blade :slight_smile:
It doesn’t hold up to much scrutiny, but certainly makes the links to Iron Kingdoms very clear

2 Likes

It does work somewhat differently (Witchfire doesn’t heal its user), but it could be an Infernal artifact like the Witchfire.

Alexia4 being on Caen with the Witchfire 10 years after the gate was destroyed is a mild flaw in this theory. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

But there are so many interesting alternatives as well:

1. Oblivion is an artefact of an ancient alien people who lived in a warrior society whose elite warriors were basically immortal due to their soul swords. They had to wage constant war in order to not die. When the Empyrean came, their robot armies broke this cycle, because destroying them did not feed the blades with souls. Half the elite warriors joined the Empyreans as undying Aeons, the others clung to their ways and ultimately destroyed themselves due to necessary infighting to stay alive.
    Ultimately, there could only be one… a few of the ancient warriors are still alive today and stalk the fringes of Empyrean space, seeking for souls to feed their swords and in particular for each other, since consuming another Highla- ehm warrior’s soul grants particularly long live. They are responsible for some mysterious disappearances of whole Marcher colonies.
    Without knowing it, the baron has claimed the sword of a mortally wounded warrior, whose murderer is now looking for the missing sword…
  2. Oblivion is a magical artefact that demands a soul whenever it is drawn. It will grant its wielder extended live, but if it is drawn without an enemy in sight, it will lead its wielder to incidentally kill friends and family, or even him/herself when drawn alone.
    This is one reason why the baron is so secretive about it: He accidentally killed his wife/father/son/servant before comprehending the sword and his conscience is weighing hard on him.
  3. Oblivion is actually not a sword, but an alien parasite that feeds on souls. The prolonged life it grants its wielder is meant to keep him/her alive until the parasite’s eggs hatch, that are currently growing inside the baron’s body. When this happens, two new “swords” hatch, killing the baron in the process and searching for new hosts.

I so much hope for 3…

It would really be fun to have RPG rules for warcaster. Maybe the IKRPG d6 system can be modified?

3 Likes

Mild flaw I’ll grant you :slight_smile:

Also good options. Slightly drawn to #1, but not picky

The important thing: I want to believe: the truth is out there.

And I think we all need new Baron lore in the future. And maybe some rules buffs so he isn’t completely overshadowed by Phaetheon

1 Like