The tales of the defenders of blackmoor

Just a warning, if i spam recaps on the dats of 10/29/2023-11/03/2023 thats because this campaign is happenIng on the PJVROOQ(projeto justi vocé é retardado ou o que(project justi are you retarded or what)),(the name was given when i was the sole GM, and now Julia is also a GM i proposed a change in name but it was rejected)

The Ol’bonegrinder and secrets uneartheteds
We start at the antique shop with john the antiquary and Agnes starting the research on the orgoth itens, she spends the night because she belived someone might try abnd steal them.
Johns father seems disapointed on his son when she leaves but mentions nothing( well, he was disapointed that hes son spent the night with an atractive woman and made no moves on her).
Marah Bathets and treats Grrrrkshhh wich was an amusing scene to Verückt, and after they went to the apothecary to restock her suplys and later went to the fat goat tavern and inn to buy a goat marinated in beer for grrrkssshhh and claus.
Ylva and Jarl went to the hunters lodge and Vould sawmill to ask for information on the surandings, Jarls remembers(passes a int test to remember) that he would have no time to search for trolls so he asks to inform him if they find one.
Agnes spendes her morning and early afternoon gathering rumors.
They rendevou at the fat goat and go to the fort where they make prepparations for the first nights watch on the decreptid haunted windmill, The Ol’bonegrinder

The old and decrepit building has a foundation of stones and the rest of wood, one of the blades is knocked down, the tower is damaged, and completely abandoned without repairs for decades, it has a heavy aura and a horrible smell of mold and dead animals.

So the first night nothing happens.
The second night at 3:30 they are acosted by an eery mist that lasts half an hour, Verrückt uses his bokor habilities to speak with the spirit, that posseses Jarl and claims he is inocent.
They request to the magister the files from the case and she gives it to them, they study it but it has little conclusive information, except that retired gun mage was lynched.
The tird night 2:00 they experience some dancing lights, but Marah’s nose notices its alchemical in nature and they investigate and caught 3 gobber children trying to spook them, but no suprenatural manifestatioin, so at 5 am they unearth the ghosts body and brute force a manifestation with grave whispers, no new infoermation can be gained, Marah allows herself to be possessed but it also results in nothing new.
and so the next day the resort to good old investigation on the traditional way and so they decide to exumate and investigate the remains of the childrem they got the permitions, and there they go, after the examination they conclude that it was made by heavy bladed weapons, so unlikely made by the Ghost.
It takkes two days to get the burocracy sorted to burry him on the right place and that night they are visited by a willow whisp that guides them to a hiden old but functional magelock pistol.
Two additional days pass and John finishes the research and this is the result.

The copse speech:
Listen to me for I will return, my crucible of souls will return to the hands of its rightful owner, do not fail me new servants, take back the crucible of Amul-Zhar, in the name of your master Vilkhara-Zhar.

War Witch armor
Price: N/A
Base: Custom armor 600 (Magical wraith warcaster armor on the hands of an orgoth warcaster)
Blessing: Spell ward
Blessing Points: 3
Curse: Precious
Curse Points: 4
Speed ​​modifier: 0
Defense Modifier: -1(0)
Armor Modifier: +6
Description: a partially ceremonial armor, made to accentuate a voluptuous female human form, the helmet has on the dome a monstrous feature without eyes, in the central line there is a red and black plume accentuated diagonally, there are four horns on the side, a pair pointing towards front and back, the visor is slits in horizontal chevrons, the helmet leaves only the mouth visible.
The torso is covered by a plate mimicking the chest of a woman, with a dying face in its center, tapering to the belly, flanked by a pair of shoulder pads with dying faces and a pair of horns.
A pair of bracers and gauntlets attached with a dying face on his forearms.
The lower part is a relatively short skirt of chainmail plates, with two larger plates on the sides and a large buckle bearing agonizing faces.
The last part are greaves and sabatons, which have agonizing faces on the shin.
Special rules: Only a character of human female height can wear this armor, a character who has not adjusted this armor suffers -2 defense.
A character wearing this armor cannot be targeted by spells.
When used by an orgoth warcaster linked to this armor gains some traits of Wraith warcaster armor (Def penalty reduced by 1 and can spend 1 focus to gain incorporeal during the attack)
After a character wielding this item receives the benefits of a boon, the character does not want to hand over the item for any reason. If the item is small enough, the character will keep it with him at all times. If this is impractical because the item is too large or immobile, the character should feel confident that he or she still has the item and personally check that it is safe at least every eight hours. If the item is taken or missing, the character becomes irrational and will seek to recover it by any means. He may try nonviolent solutions first, but resort to violence if these fail.
He will be unable to focus on any activity except retrieving the item and defending himself. The effect of this curse can be removed in eight hours
ritual on sacred ground conducted by a priest or shaman. The affected character will not cooperate and must be subdued or unconscious. It doesn’t remove the curse
of the item - this will affect the next person who receives the benefits of a perk.
A character with Orgoth blood ignores the effects of this armor’s curse.

Oblivions Edge
Price: N/A
Base: heavy blade orgoth(cutlass) 150
Blessings: Thirsting blade and Attuned blade
Blessing Points: 5
Curses: Ancestral memories and Haunted
Curse Points: 6
Skill: hand weapon
Modifier: -1
Pod: 4
Description: A heavy curved blade ornamented with runes on its blade, a demonic face on each side of the asymmetrical guard, and an amber stone on the front of the guard and on its pommel in the mouth of a demonic face.
Special rules: This weapon is magical and blessed
When this weapon damages a designated living enemy, all subsequent attacks are magnified.
When in the hands of someone endowed with Orgoth blood, this weapon gains +2 Pod and additionally functions as a bond plate for warcasters with Orgoth blood.
Characters destroyed by this weapon have their souls sent to the infernal fellgoth, therefore they do not generate a soul token or can be consulted by magic
A character with Orgoth blood ignores the curses of this weapon.
Curses
Haunted when this character uses the blessing of this item he must make a will test difficulty 15, if he fails, treat all other characters as if they were in terror [20] for D3+1 rounds
Ancestral memories this character sporadically and beset by memories of either his past incarnations or those he has killed, a character in combat who suffers a vision must pass a difficulty Will test [18] or be blinded and stationary for one round, a character with Orgoth soul can consult its ancestral memories.

Mural
For the glory of the fellgoth I created a soul crucible, I reaped souls of thousands, and my construction continues to reap for millennia, but my vill brother usurped me, used his horrible beast to separate me from my creation, he planned to use ---- ------------------------- -------------------, but what he doesn’t know is that the reaped souls belong to me, not to him hear me cursed be Amul-Zhar, on my honor I guarantee that you will never return to the world of the living when your existence Caesar, and from your bastards I Vilkhara-Zhar will return

3 Likes

Fun fact: In German, “fat goat” - “dicke Ziege” could also mean a drunk goat, so it’s a great name for a tavern with that kind of signature dish :grin:

I love the windmill and its description, that’s a horror classic for anybody with even a little interest in a genre (see Sleepy Hollow, Army of Darkness, Frankenstein)!

I’d say this ghost story has played out very well indeed, with some nice false jump scares and an ever-growing sense of mystery and hidden secrets. Considering there’s a necromancer in the group (the bokor), it’s definitely the right choice not to make the whole haunting too simple to solve (after all, ghost stories are so much fun, and doing good ol’ legwork is too easily ignored. I’ve written several ghost stories for RPGs, and the ones that have been the most fun have been when the players did not have the right tools for the job - like necromancy - and had to pay attention and get creative instead). :+1:

Does unabashedly vain old me see the wraith warcaster armour from Gearbook II get a mention here? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Are you going to write up the ritual, or are you going to play loose with it? (Just a tip, don’t make curse removal too easy. Curses should only be removable after understanding some key elements of the curse first, as curses are usually great stories, and just making it too easy to get rid of them without learning of that story first is such a waste).

Hahahahaha

Its a good item, it would be a shame not to use it, but yes

Incredibly the characters that could use the armpr without masive overhauls, agree that this curse is dealable, and i have the tendency of making the process of getting rid of them more on the complex side

Thanks im quiet new to mysteri and investigation, i was pulling hairs to make it good since i dont have the experience on those fields
and nex times i post a recap here will be either gigantic or have very quck follow ups, so now its puting the finishing touuches on the mini “filler” arc:
PJVROOQ: “Backfire”

So PJVROOQ has started me and 4 of the 5 players are here today, tomorow the last one will arive, and the next day the “Backfire” arc will start, and so my recaps and the backstory of someone will be revealed.

1 Like

Looking forward to hearing more!

1 Like

PJVROOQ “Backfire” part 1

So they just exorcised a ghost,and they finished the soul binder for Verruck.
Than they “sell” the lancer half assembled chassi to the gobber thinker billbob, owner of jacks rest scrapyard.

jacks rest scrapyard dives
The players request a non magicall(magelocks allowed) item and roll a luck dice in a result of a 6 they find the item if they have enough credit to buy it, they can add it to their character sheet, an item can be serached for again in a month time, they are battered, rusted and ugly but otherwise completely functional.

So their haul was, a heavy barding, a razor bite, a alchemical capacitor,an mechanical capacitoe and a arcane turbine.(verruct rolls were on fire 4 6 on 6 or 7 rolls)
Agnes later follows Carrie(the magister) and Tracy(a tavern owner) ro a clearing where they drink and “play” with a duelist warjack, Agnes does that in a vain attempt of confirm the rumor that they are a couple wich she fails, but mentions her former lover(that was a tordoran noble and she was thurian pesant).
Fast fowarding a week, Cracius a trollkin hunter informes of strangers coming to the village, and that they are not nice people.
The first nice they manage to kill a man, harrass a bunch of girls and pick fights with the non humans, ogruns and rhulics.
So the players hatch a plan, close two of the tavers(the fat goat and rusty jack), and lay in waiting in the el poico.
Eight rufians come already drunk carring banded clubs, heavy bore loader pistols and unarmores, quickly aftersitting they have a discussion and one leaves.
A while after one of the man aproaches ylva and drops a pick up line that would make a slag troll wretch, and try to groap her, she slaps her hand aside and calls him a worm, Agnes pipes up and he cals her “noblesman little whore”, they argue she pulls her magelock he slapes it aside and iniciative os rolled, it ends as soon as it starts and two of rufians are captured the rest are killed, it was one sided as hell, as if the old gossiping lady on the corner was manipulating the odds.
When Verrúckt tryes to interrogate the dead something in trapping the souls, but not all is lust one he maneged to bind and interrogates it.
He discovers they are lowly prospects of the blackskull legion mercenary chapter, and thar they were searching for Agnes because she shot a noblewoaman in five fingers.
And here is two picture of us

first one is me holdong the phone

second one is Ylvas player

2 Likes

This just makes me think once again about how to run a classical fun tavern brawl with lowered stakes instead of everything just becoming one more regular battle for dear life… :slight_smile:

A thought: You need a battle map for a tavern brawl, with things like tables, stairs and the bar marked. Players can use any improvised weapon without the need for a feat point, as per the rules in Urban Combat, but doing so removes a chair or depletes the “improvisables” counters on a nearby table (and you can do different things in different places, e.g. a table would have plates of food to throw into faces, or the bar would have bottles and large jugs). Once no “improvisables” are left within arm’s reach, players would have to start spending feat points to use improvised weapons, as normal.

Also, every time a character is disabled by an unarmed attack or attack with an improvised weapon, they only count as concussed on a roll of 3-6 on 1d6, and only suffer the full results of a roll on the injury table when they roll 1-2 on this d6 (There can still be broken bones and similarly serious injuries, after all, but no-one is out to truly kill anybody).

1 Like

PJVROOQ “Backfire” part 2

They interrogate the soul of a deceased merc on the tavern brawl and the two of the captured rufians, and discovered that they are lead by a man called Mirton Blackhawk, a renegade knight who owns a nomad named slasher.
Ylva, Agnes and Jarl are ambushed by mercs

They talk with the sherif about the blackskull legion, and he informs that they are absolutely brutal and vile, and that Blackhawk has suffered a head wound that fucked his memory so he needs to keep certain reminders with him.
Is sugested that a warcaster might be able to steal Slasher from him mid battle if they can steal his cortex locks, and have a warcaster.
The warcaster part was resolved by leting Carrie weild Oblivions edge, that as soon as it drew a fillet of blood of her finger, it brought memories from her past live as Vilkhara-Zhar, and woke her gift as a warcaster, and the blade returned once more to its rightfull owner.
So they started to train her as a warcaster, as well as they could, since they didnt have a warcaster, but a warlock as a close enough aproximation.
Later the goup gets ambushed at the ambushed at the edge of town by a large number of rufians with a standart bearer, they manage to defeat them with ease, and capturing the standart bearer.
Verrückt with some help intimidates the guy to high heavens,and they got the place of the groups camp.
So they ambush the camp it goes sort of smothly, well, ylva dies when an bulldog labor jack adapted to battle exploded, but the master used a resource that normaly is used to make the lives of players harder, to save her and create plot hooks and temporarily cost her a maximum feat point

and hera pictures of Great Ivan my conquest/victor i finished today

2 Likes

PJVROOQ “Bacfire” part 3

So they start by drinking away Ylvas near death experience,on El poico, when they are aproachede by Fillie a young gemale rynir tailor in town that thanks them for deealing with the mercenaries, she explained they howlled obcenities(that bear no need of beeing repeated here) at her, latal Ylva admits findeng her “kind of cute” on her stuppur.
They divide themselves in two patrol teams one during the day morning during the evening.

Morning patrol

Agnes and jarls are acosted by four rufians and two blackguards,the battle does not goes smothly as Jarl fights the blackguards and meets umprecedented resistence(ARR 15+2 shield+ defensive line) and fail to dispatch them quickly, and Agnes gets crited and fails a knock out test of a banded club attack of a rufian and claus gets crited and almost fails a knock out test, a ilegal move is made by the part of the players but the situation is dire enough that i do not forbid it, this time, they manage after that to dispatch the enemies.

Evening patrol

Nothing happens.

But two nights later the black skulls retaliate and planta large bomb on the riverbank side of the fortress, opening a 6 meters(18 feet) hole on the side of the fortress, this alagates the lower level of the fortress, and the blast killed the four prissioners they had.
The players atract Chobi the bull snapper to the new flooded zone.
The player character baerly have time to whait before the mercs attack and they go to the magistracy to take hostages in the early morning, it goes well until the steamjack that they brought with an overpresurized boiler exploded after a move and being battered, crippling its controler, but after that was smooth sailing.
They stabilize the steamjack controler and interogate him getting the information they needed.

1 Like

PJVROOQ “Backfire” part 4

They track the mercs to their camp and there are a lot of mercs , more tman thirty, with slasher the nomad and a fighting bulldog, Ylva belives she nearly got caught by the sentrys(she rolled initialy a 9 on sneak , but reroled before i anounced the result, to a 14, they rolled a 8 on detection , so yeah wasted feat point), they decide to go at night to steal the cortex locks codes for warcasters of slasher, Ylva is scared since she only has a feat point left, so Marah aplies an alchemical item thar increases Agnes stealth and before they notice she goes in, passes unoticed and gets in Blackhawks tent, but the tent is not empity, there are two vulgar women on there one is sleeping the other is brushing her hair, they didnt notice Agnes, she find the codes and leaves, so sneakly in fact that she left and returnd that the group was in panic and recived a jump scare when she returned, and marah stomach started to act up.
They give the codes to Carrie and wait the orgoth armor get the fitting to her and memorize the image/phrases patterns to take control of slasher.

the assault at the camp

The camp had three watchtiwers and palisades, it went well at first,with ylva one shoting a torturer that controled a fightning bulldog, until slasher got in Jarl and nearly downed him he had 1 health and baricade had 2( thats dread in action for you all), and they are only on their feet because of a buff from Marah, but right after that Carrie takes action and steals slashers control from blackhawk, he screams at her, and she uses slasher to kill a goon and heavly wound another(she only has ARC of 2 for now), Verruckt finisher the bulldog and is engaged by blackguards, but than something happens…

The ploy
Ylva uses a feat point to throw two smal bombs at a tower(bosted pow 15, roll super well and nocks it down killing the watcher on top and crushing 6 other guys, with the rubble landing just shy of verrückt.

Carrie orders Slasher to strike once at Blackhawk damaging him heavly, he retaliates, scrateches slashers pants(he rolls a 17 damage on total), and gets grabed and manhandled him, shortly after their resolve faultered. And they ran or surrendered.
The PCs interrogate Blackhawk and discover that well, explanation first…

Agnes before being a mercenary had a relationship with a tordoran noble, well was the mistress of, when the guys fiancee found out and confronted her, things escalated and the noblewoman threatened to destroy Agnes familys bussiness, agnes lost her temper and shot her in the leg and hobbled her.

Well the merc company leader is going to marry the noblewomans cousin, and decided that agnes would be a nice wedding gift, so we stoped with Marah storming off as she raged from this revelation

2 Likes

PJVROOQ “Backfire” part 5 epilogue

they return to the fortress with the prisioners to rest and recuperate and well at least Marah to cool of her head off.
next day they go to the big house to discover how to reap the reward on Blackhawk’s head, so Ernie directs them to Rutger so he can help, he doesand takes the prisioners to Ravengard.
They talk and thank Carrie for the help, she deflects and informs tham that the owner of El poico is giving a party in their homage this night, they ask if shes gonna come, she says no, she hs too much work, Ylva tryes to help and fail so she still cant go.
The first thing that happens is Bullgan the trollkin barman gives them a traditional troll drink, that gets Agnes, Marah, and Ylva heavly drunk.
The highlight is Gertruda scaring Agnes by hinting that she knows the truth, Marah buying Fillie(an highly atractive rynir woman that has the fame of being equaly “expensive”) a 50 Gc wine and confusing the fuck out of her and toluse offers them his highly skilled tailoring services for free this time for social clothes.
Close to the end of the night the owner of the Fat goat comes in and to not be out done, he would be doing a second celebration.
On the second celebration Marah tried to acompany Scrombles on the drinks, wich she failed, he is a beast, Killgore confirmed that Ylva indeed saw a carrion thrall, and thats it, Carrie didind show up again.
The next day starts with Tracy(The owner of the Rusty jack) going to the fort and invinting them for a smal confraternization, ylva goes to black iron smithy and commisions a mekanichal repetition crossbow with a mechanical capacitor, the night quickly aproaches, and the woman of the time finaly cames Carrie this time decides to show up.
Ernie gets too drunk and a bouncer needs to carry him home, Carrie stays talking and drinking with Tracy and the group goes talk to the presumed couple(there is a rumor
that they are a couple), firt they build Carrue up, she deflates with shyness to Tracys delight, Ylva and Jarl notice that Tracy does have feelings for Carrie but dosnt know how to act on them.
They kept drinking and talking, some points came up, like why the Blackskulls were there, both girls discovered that it was because of Agnes but were going to change subjects, but Agnes tryed to salvage things and dug herself into a worse sitution, and they talked about the idea that invaded her mind from thr outter abyss, her guardian, Asmodeus, but they agreed to know more about it first before assembling it, after a time Carrie and Tracy decide to talk in “private” and take the duelist warjack and head to the woods, Ylva wanted to follow but was too plastered, so she asked Mara to do it, after a detour she did follow them, just in time.

Carrie was drunk enough to open up to her best friend about vizion of her ancester, of a romantic encounter that turned sexual, and that she felt Every thing as she put it i felt her lips touch mine, i pelt my fingers press her soft skin i felt her tenter touch…, thankfully she didnt enter on detail about the act.
detail Ylva watched her have the vizion and her body have the appropriate, or in this case inaproppriate reaction, and she adimits that she does not know if the armor will help but will hide if this happens again.

after that Mara keeps listening and as nothing of importance is said its just two drunk friends talking she returns, next day Shoris goes to the fort and informs that they will be raising the monthly pay to 200 crown.
Some days pass and Rutger returns with the reward from blackhawk, 750 Gc, but at last their peace wasnt to last, Sylvestr later tahat day comes screaming that Marah had brought a group of Farrow brigands to town.

2 Likes

Is that part of a major character retool, or had it been planned right from the start?

No move is illegal when the GM permits it/asks for it :slight_smile: After all, sometimes the rules get bent a little in NPCs’ favour as well, for the sake of some atmosphere (rarely, though; it’d not be fair to rob players of their successes, after all), and in the end if bad things have just been the result of poor rolls instead of abjectly stupid player decisions, I’d always err in the direction of making sure the story can continue (since the GM probably has prepared a lot of story to start with, and offing player characters before the end just means a lot of wasted work on the GM’s part. That doesn’t include players taking the plot in a new direction, of course, which is usually a good thing - nothing makes the players more engaged than feeling they truly shape the plot).

That’s a sweet move indeed!

Also, on a note I’ve brought up before… how about writing shorter sentences with full stops rather than just stringing statements together with commas? It’d be a bit easier to read when you know when one piece of information ends (yes, I know, I’m a teacher of English :nerd_face: , so I tend to get twisted up about that kind of thing, because I see my students do it all the time :stuck_out_tongue: ).

1 Like

Incredibly, its both, she was just a mayor in the start but as soon as i started thinking about a certain artifact a vilain will use , i needed someone to have the knowledge so they would have a plan.

My bad, i will try, its a sin of mine even in speech

No worries, I know that I often get pretty long-winded myself. :slight_smile:

I’m looking forward to hearing more of Blackmoor.

1 Like

Justi speaks like a machine gun :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Thanks darling, thats true though, and sometimes when im specyaly heated up it goes beyond machine gun and goes full on gatling gun…

1 Like

A chain gun, you mean? As in, 6 rounds of ammunition are spent but only 1d3 attacks are made unless you’ve got a helper managing the feed? :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like