Stealth, channeling, and eyeless sight redux

I am aware of the previous two topics raised on this issue here and here.

What isn’t clear to me is how an eyeless sight (or other stealth-ignoring ability) caster arcing a spell at a stealth target through an arc node that is more than 5" away from said target does not automatically miss.

Stealth - Model Advantage
“Ranged and arcane attacks targeting this model from a point of origin greater than 5” away automatically miss."

The arc node in the above situation is the point of origin and more than 5" away, so why would the caster’s ability to ignore stealth matter?

If the answer is, “The attacking model is the caster and the attack ignores stealth,” then why is the simple text about distance from point of origin ignored?

Perhaps more central to the point: what is the “point of origin” language doing here at all? Why not just say the following?

Ranged and arcane attacks targeting this model from greater than 5" away automatically miss.

1 Like

I’ll take the case! :slight_smile:

Here’s what Eyeless Sight does:

Here’s Stealth:

So, the scenario is that a warcaster arcs a spell through an arc node at a target that has Stealth. The warcaster is more than 5" away from the target, and the arc node model is more than 5" from the target.

Stealth’s effect is “Ranged and arcane attacks targeting this model from a point of origin greater than 5 inches away automatically miss.”

The warcaster has Eyeless Sight. Eyeless Sight says they ignore Stealth.

Stealth would normally come into play at Step 4 of the Attack Timing chart, “Resolve all effects that cause an attack to hit or miss automatically.”

However, the attacking model – the warcaster with Eyeless Sight – ignores that.

With apologies for sounding tautological, if you ignore Stealth, then you ignore Stealth and go on with your life. :slight_smile: Stealth effectively does not exist for the warcaster. Forget that icon is even on the target’s card! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Perhaps more central to the point: what is the “point of origin” language doing here at all? Why not just say the following?

Ranged and arcane attacks targeting this model from greater than 5" away automatically miss.

Michael, of course, has the rules rationale laid out for you but I want to address this part. That Point of Origin language is there to allow you to get around stealth by running your arc node within 5" of the stealth model. With your wording the caster would still miss despite the arc node being within 5".

1 Like

Yep, that all tracks. Eyeless sight is better than I thought!

1 Like

Thanks! I forgot to address that part! :slightly_smiling_face: