Losing Ghostly Mid-move

@Leonard_Dukes and I had a game today where this interaction came up, and we wanted to see if we could get some clarification on it. What happens when a model loses ghostly after having already entered rough terrain?

I’ll start with some relevant screen grabs

The situation was this, we had a model moving into Baldur’s feat while Shyryss had Host of Shadows up. At the moment the model entered Baldur’s feat aura, Host of Shadows was applicable to the model. At some point, the model moved out of Host of Shadows range while still being within Baldur’s control range. We have guesses as to the intent, but based on how the wording is written we believe the model does not suffer the movement penalty of rough terrain. Rough terrain specifies that when a model would enter rough terrain it reduces the distance moved. When under Host that model does not suffer this penalty, but it has already entered the terrain by the time Host is no longer applicable. Because it’s already within the terrain when Host falls off, the “begins in or would enter” clause wouldn’t trigger based on our reading.

Is there some way this interaction could be clarified to make intent more clear?

1 Like

RAW you enter rough terrain the second you enter Baldur’s control range. You just ignore the penalty until you leave Shyryss’ control range.

I cant think of any reason to not apply the penalty to the movement given that you will not ignore the penalty for the whole movement.

The question arose because of how the Rough Terrain penalty is normally applied: you suffer the -2" movement when you begin in or enter the Rough Terrain area.

Assuming that the penalty is applied exactly at that moment, if an affected model begins an advance in the area overlapped by both Broken Earth and Host of Shadows, then at the moment it would suffer the penalty, it ignores that penalty due to Ghostly.

I can certainly see arguments to be made for the alternate interpretation, and who knows what intent might end up being, but it’s definitely an interesting question.

1 Like

Tagging an Infernal. Paging @elswickchuck !

The rough terrain penalty is not applied that way. It is applied if you “would enter at any point”. So when you measure out your movement you determine if the penalty would apply, and if so, apply it to the whole movement.

You cant, for example, take a spd5 model and walk 4" to the edge of a forest, then declare intent to enter, and walk your minimum of 1" into the forest. You instead measure in advance, and advance 3" if the movement would have you enter the forest.

A model’s entire movement is absolutely not measured in advance, unless it happens to be advancing in a straight line.

Im not sure what you mean by this. Everything is measured in this game. You cannot advance to a point without first determining if you have sufficient movement to do so.

I mean exactly what I said: a model’s entire movement is not measured in advance, if that movement is non-linear. Each individual straight-line portion of it is measured, and then carried out.

If I decide that I want to run my Raptor 4" this way, 3" that way, and 7" another way, I don’t measure all 3 legs out and then carry out the movement. I measure and move the 4" leg, then the 3" leg, and then the 7" leg, triggering and resolving anything as necessary along the way. No portion of the movement is even committed to until the model actually moves (physically) into a new location.

I think we’re saying the same thing. You dont commit to the movement until the whole thing is measured and agreed to.

Otherwise you could declare 5 1" advances into rough terrain and bypass the penalty.

So back to your example, if your total movement would take you out of ghostly, you would subtract 2 from the total number of inches you can move.

The penalty of Rough Terrain is applied when you enter the area or start your movement in it. Ghostly allows you to walk through terrain and obstacles without penalty. The penalty for Rough Terrain only happens when you enter or begin your movement in Rough Terrain, so losing it shouldn’t matter.

Checking for wording

2 Likes

The intention is that if you were to lose ghostly in this situation you would then suffer the rough terrain movement penalty.

We will be looking to change wording to match this ruling

3 Likes