List bash: capturing the essence of every army

I’ve got too many armies that might not see play again, but still want to show love. So my goal is to make a list for each army I own. I want to capture the essence of what the army is about: what it does better than any other army, or at least capture the feeling behind why I bought the models in the first place.

I am using this to think harder about my collection and make sure I have an iconic list ready if I feel the urge to return to legacy. I am very open to feedback though to strengthen them, or others trying to distill their favourite armies to a single list

1 Like

First up Cryx Black fleet
Niche: swarm of high def, fast infantry, with a multitude of tricks.

Caster: Rahera. I haven’t played Rahera before, but mk4 gives her a toolbox of abilities to fix anything. Rough seas makes the list skew well into shooting, carnage adds to hit, curse adds to damage, and hunters mark adds to speed. Can almost choose +2 to any stat. Feat gives an extra attack: I am mostly going melee so probably need to engage then use it, or use it to shake being jammed up if alphaed and survive.

Rest of list: I need Gerlak, his troll crew, and lots of satyxis including gunslingers. A lot is just models I want to play, but jamming fast forward, holding hags and slayer to deal with hard targets. It isn’t too different to what I played in mk3: push the line of engagement then fight to hold scenario.

Rahera miserable mountain
Cryx - Blackfleet
Grand Melee - 100 pts

PC CARD

Captain Rahera, Terror of the Wailing Sea

4 Deathripper

10 Inflictor

9 Slayer

4 Axiara Wraithblade

5 General Gerlak Slaughterborn

1 Misery Cage

3 Satyxis Raider Captain 1

3 Satyxis Raider Captain 2

7 Bloodgorgers 1

4 Jussika Bloodtongue

7 Bloodgorgers 2

6 Satyxis Blood Witches 1

3 Satyxis Blood Hag 1

6 Satyxis Blood Witches 2

3 Satyxis Blood Hag 2

5 Satyxis Gunslingers 1

5 Satyxis Gunslingers 2

7 Satyxis Raiders

3 Satyxis Raider Sea Witch

4 Scharde Dirge Seers

PC COMMAND CARD
1 Arcane Forces
Blessing of the Gods
Hit & Run
Power Swell
Put the Fires Out

TOTAL POINTS 100/100

I always thought the thing Black Fleet does better than others is shoot with Empowered and Guidanced Leviathans under Skarre3, while not loosing the ranged game to other ranged lista due to Deceleration etc., and then cleans up the rest of the opponents army once they arrive in close quarters with the jacks and units.

But, I have only played against it and only a few times.

1 Like

That is certainly a good one… Maybe I need to make 2 lists per army :slight_smile:

Dark Host: trying to get a list ready for every army in my collection
Niche: spooky incorporeal pistol wraiths (well,the characters at least), backed by heavy hitters.
Caster: Deneghra3. I’m doing the same as last time and picking a caster I only bought post legacy announcement and never played, but she is a bullying super solo with mortality to support a shooting list, and loves having souls around to pluck up when needed. Scourge and / or mortality would enable an assassination when needed.
Rest of list: pretty much plucking a best of solos. Start with hellslinger and ol grim, add darraghe to share mortal fear or death ride with Deneghra. A wraith engine also leans to the incorporeal theme, while also buffing armour of everyone (especially Deneghra). A desecrator battlegroup to lob more guns around, backed by nightmare for when things get close: some jacks are useful to be able to charge up with souls when needed. Finally a couple bane units to smash anything left standing
Did you bring magic weapons?
Cryx - Dark Host
Grand Melee - 100 pts

PC CARD

Deneghra, the Soul Weaver

6 Defiler

12 Desecrator 1

12 Desecrator 2

14 Nightmare

11 Wraith Engine

7 Darragh Wrathe

6 Hellslinger Phantom

2 Machine Wraith 1

2 Machine Wraith 2

6 Ol’ Grim

1 Soul Trapper

7 Bane Knights

2 Bane Knight Officer

7 Bane Warriors

4 Bane Warrior Officer & Standard

PC COMMAND CARD
1 Arcane Forces
Grave Robbing
Hit & Run
Power Swell
Put the Fires Out

TOTAL POINTS 100/100

Next: got some feedback last time that most armies probably have 2 distinct niches. I confess I loved bane swarms previously, so expect a more infantry focussed list if I double tap :slight_smile:

Winter Korps: my goal is to get a list I want to play with every army in my collection. WK are really my current army, so this is stuff that arrived recently and looking forward to putting on the table :slight_smile:
Niche: resilient, takes axe to face, puts axe in others face
Caster: Sikora. A simple play style that just tries to punch harder in a fair scrum. Feat for unyielding and hit better, both multiply the pain in combat. Avenging force is neat to punish opponents who do hurt you. Positive charge to punch harder near the warjack anchors
Rest of list: all the mow I own, and a bias to melee who get the most from sikora. Waiting to get a second wrecking crew, but 2 units of suppressors go bang bang bang. Battlegroup focussed on cheap melee wolves to spread positive charge, and I like medevista here to lean into premium melee. Feat turn momma bear goes to arm24 in melee, and with superiority, avenging, PC and pathfinder she goes where she needs and smashed hard. Snipers to stay near zones and add some shooting.

Was that supposed to hurt?
Khador - Winter Korps
Grand Melee - 100 pts

PC CARD

Kommander Tatiana Sikora
        SPELL - Superiority
        SPELL - Puissance

9 Dire Wolf 1
1 HEAD - Shield Guard
4 RIGHT ARM - Ice Hammer
4 LEFT ARM - Plow-Shield

9 Dire Wolf 2
1 HEAD - Shield Guard
4 RIGHT ARM - Ice Hammer
4 LEFT ARM - Plow-Shield

17 Medveditsa
HEAD - Medveditsa
LEFT ARM - Left Bear Claw
RIGHT ARM - Right Bear Claw

3 Koldun Lord Damien Korovnik

5 Krueger, Wrath of Blighterghast

5 Sergeant Sergei Krol

2 Winter Korps Officer 1

2 Winter Korps Officer 2

4 Arkanists

11 Man-O-War Suppressors 1

11 Man-O-War Suppressors 2

10 Man-O-War Wrecking Crew

7 Shock Trooper Pikemen

4 Winter Korps Snipers

1 Winter Korps Hunting Dog

PC COMMAND CARD
Blessing of the Gods
Careful Reconnaissance
Infiltration
Power Swell
Put the Fires Out

TOTAL POINTS 100/100

Grymkin: one of the armies I played most in mk3. I am trying to get a single list to capture the essence of each army in my collection, feedback welcome
Niche: solid warbeasts, typified by a spooky house, and silly hard hitting infantry
Caster: The Child: I wanted the house to be the anchor of the list, and feel child is the best support. Abuse and pain response is key, wailing an ok option. Slaughterhouse also supports child, acting as a solid brick for her to bully behind, and dragging targets for her to smash.
Rest of list: collection of beasts: all take abuse well, and gives child a good selection of animi to support her own game. Neigh slayers and other glass cannon infantry also offer a great counter punch behind the house and beasts. I got karianna to crank the beasts, but resisted corpse cart: I wanted to focus on models that do work rather than pure support.

Doll House
Grymkin - Grymkin
Grand Melee - 100 pts

PC CARD

The Child

12 Cage Rager

3 Crabbit

6 Gorehound

8 Rattler

26 Slaughterhouse

3 Baron Tonguelick, Lord of Warts

3 Grave Ghoul

3 Lady Karianna Rose

5 The Four Horseymans

5 Dread Rots

9 Neigh Slayers 1

4 Neigh Slayer War Horse 1

9 Neigh Slayers 2

4 Neigh Slayer War Horse 2

PC COMMAND CARD
Break Through
Fortune’s Path
Grave Robbing
Hit & Run
Ill Omens
Ruin
Sacrifice

TOTAL POINTS 100/100

Soldiers of fortune: trying to capture the essence of each army in my collection in a single list. This one is more limited by my own collection than most, and based off an opponent who has brutalized me with a much better list
Niche: waves of infantry and solid warjack shooting to overwhelm the scenario and keep pushing enemies away.
Caster: Damiano does it all. The scariest thing is deadeye: combined with boosts it all but guarantees critical hits with mules, and not much resists being thrown. Warpath also extends threat, and stacks nicely with crane for 5” out of activation moves to still allow aiming. Feat to punch armour or brick up, and infantry upkeeps to buff the swarm.
Rest of list: nothing too surprising. Invictus is there in place of opponents mangler: he doesn’t benefit from warpath or crane, but I like the idea of deadeye for long range crit knockdowns, and another solid feat target.

Don Quixote mule kicks
Mercenaries - Soldiers of Fortune
Grand Melee - 100 pts

PC CARD

Captain Damiano

13 Mule 1

13 Mule 2

20 Magnus the Unstoppable

Invictus

3 Rhupert Carvolo, Piper of Ord

3 Sergeant Nicolas Verendrye

6 Stannis Brocker

2 Steelhead Arcanist

3 Steelhead Ironhead

5 Steelhead Halberdiers 1

5 Steelhead Halberdiers 2

8 Steelhead Heavy Cavalry 1

8 Steelhead Heavy Cavalry 2

5 Steelhead Riflemen

5 Steelhead Volley Gun Crew

Defenses
        DEFENSE 1 - Barrier
        DEFENSE 2 - Fire Pit
        DEFENSE 1 - Spike Trap

PC COMMAND CARD
Defenses
Hit & Run
Old Faithful
Power Swell
1 Sentry Duty

TOTAL POINTS 100/100

For reference here is my opponents much better list (or close to it). Craters are very difficult to deal with, combined with being thrown every turn

Need Zaateroth
Mercenaries - Soldiers of Fortune
Grand Melee - 100 pts
PC CARD

Captain Damiano

13 Mangler

13 Mule 1

13 Mule 2

3 Rhupert Carvolo, Piper of Ord

3 Sergeant Nicolas Verendrye

2 Steelhead Arcanist 1

2 Steelhead Arcanist 2