How does the Lost Legion navigate the Void?

Void navigator – An Arc-sensitive theurge capable of navigating the void. Void navigators are necessary for sky ships traversing the void. The navigator’s role is to make sure the ship finds its way out of the void through the gate on the opposite side of its entry point.

(The Thousand Worlds, p. 247)

Since the Lost Legion does not have Theurges, I wonder how they navigate the void?

1 Like

I still think it’s a “Cyber City Oedoo 808” situation: hooking up dead people’s brains to machines to make psychic zombie cyborgs.

2 Likes

I would think Void travel would be about the same for them. Given the level of technology in Warcaster, it can be assumed the Theurges use a suite of augers/sensors/software to more accurately sense the locations they need to get to. Since the Lost Legion is all machines, i figured they had dedicated “navigator” bots who have access to all the same technology.

2 Likes

It may be that the only way for mortal humans to make the necessary calculations for navigation is magic. Robots have better senses, faster processing, and unbreakable concentration, so they don’t need magic to help them along the way.

1 Like

Humans also have computers, so one would assume if a computer could do it that you wouldn’t need magic. But I don’t know.

1 Like

“How does the Lost Legion navigate the Void?”

Apparently, very poorly.

Why do you think they’re lost?

:stuck_out_tongue:

7 Likes

This guy has the right answer

1 Like

Was about to say, they probably just can’t and don’t care. They probably have a stasis mode to conserve power when drifting the void

2 Likes

Scifi computers always speak with a pleasant female voice but are usually quite bad at computing. Scifi robots, on the other hand, are often better at stuff than computers. It makes no sense that the wall-sized computer is less effective than R2-D2’s internal processor, but that’s scifi.

1 Like

Fair. Another trope in sci-fi though is that you need a (sometimes special) human to navigate space. Dune, Andromeda, even the Imperium in 40K (although that might just be that the Imperium doesn’t have proper computers because HERESY!).

I think there’s good reasons to put limitations on space travel; it shouldn’t be too easy to get around.

2 Likes

The Crucible Guard in the Warmachine past created warcasters, do you think there could be a similar process?

Like, the Lost Legion capture living prisoners and then modify them as needed? Sounds plausible to me.

1 Like