Did you ever subvert the perception of an NPC?

So i was talking with my girlfriend and we remembered a short campaign we had where i did this exact thing, it was an spy adventure where the first assignment was to get blackmail material on a noble family, and the NPC in question was this familys daughter, Amelia, she was suposed to be an insufurable spoiled brat.
What happened, well to tell i must introduce my character, Constantine, a Aristocrat/Knight, who was a hedonistic womanizer, and amelia was described as atrctive and hot, so constantine homed in her, and the first seduction roll was so high that the GM judged that she was curtailing her bad behaviours around him.
The second meeting was wuen he delivered a salvaged warjack that she smuggled, and another super high seduction roll later, and the gm goes well shes in love with you now, so she behaves even better.
Later we go in a fancy party on their estate, and another seduction test with a high result, and the girl is madly in love, so yet again her behavior improves.
Since i was the only PC to interact with her our memories of her are of a plesant NPC, and yes Constantine is an asshole but not that of an asshole he took her away on “vacation” while the rest of her family got blackmailed

Not Iron Kingdoms, but in a World of Darkness campaign about fallen angels, my players had managed to trap a young man who had already murdered one of their followers, and realised that though their supernatural senses did not register the man as anything but human, he wasn’t, as one of the player characters could see his true form, a gargoyle (if you know the film “I, Frankenstein,” he was that kind of gargoyle - fanatically opposed to demons). Confident demons couldn’t see what he really was, or even knew his kind even existed (as gargoyles are always careful to hide their tracks), the gargoyle was quite shocked when the players revealed they had found him out - and then the players didn’t only let the gargoyle go when he pleaded for his life after he’d learned his backup wasn’t going to come, but also hadn’t harmed him when he’d tried to make a run for it first. Furthermore, the most monstrous-looking player demon had even told the gargoyle he (the demon) might look like a monster, but he didn’t want to be one.

Growing from this encounter, what I’d planned as a grand shadow war between the gargoyles and the fallen angels instead evolved into the players eventually becoming friends of a large faction of gargoyles (with many ups and downs along the way before that friendship became a formal alliance) and inciting a civil war within the gargoyles themselves first, and eventually breaking their morale completely by finding incontrovertible evidence that showed the gargoyles themselves were the descendants of fallen angels.

1 Like