Morgan's Iron Kingdoms Gearbooks (FMF Ruleset)

Khione [Light Shyeel Myrmidon]

The scorn began to die in the man-o-war kapitan’s throat as the slight forms of the strange machines danced through the covering fire laid down by his supporting winter guard detachment, sudden flurries of snow confusing their aim and flaring force fields absorbing the few bullets that found their mark, and then the machines were among them, with bladework that was uncanny for mere devices scissoring the foremost two man-o-war suits apart in just as many seconds before plunging their blades home for the kill…”

Based on the Gorgon light myrmidon chassis, the Khione is the first product of a clandestine cooperation between Nyss refugees and Iosan arcanikal engineers, though whether its existence will lead to a purge of this alliance or promote the healing of the ancient rift between the Nyss and Ios is yet to be seen.
Bearing blades modeled after the trademark swords of Nyss warriors and wielding them with their customary graceful sweeping strikes, as well as incorporating a unique modulation of its force field that shrouds the Khione in a distortion that does not only look like wind-blown snow but also shields the myrmidon from being affected by cold-based attacks, it is clear at first glance that this unique design is a fascinating marriage of Iosan arcanikal engineering and Nyss traditions.

PHY SPD STR AGL PRW POI MAT RAT INT PER
8 6 8 5 5 4 7 4 2 2
Initiative DEF ARM
13 13 16

Damage Grid: see Gorgon Warmachine stat card

Melee Armament: Claymore (Left Arm, Right Arm; POW 4, POW+S 12. While neither of the Khione’s Arm systems is crippled, a Khione armed with a pair of claymores can make a combo attack with both of its claymores simultaneously, using both of the myrmidon’s initial attacks to make a single devastating strike. Make a melee attack. On a hit, make a damage roll with a POW equal to the STR of the myrmidon plus twice the POW of this weapon).

Base Size: Medium

Cortex: Custom Iosan aurum-grade equivalent (INT 2, PER 2; the cortex has been modified to grant +2 MAT but does not grant a RAT bonus)

Power Field: 6 boxes

Field-Dependent: When this character’s Field Generator system (G) is crippled, this character loses Immunity: Cold and Snow-Wreathed.

Immunity: Cold

Open Fists: Both of the Khione’s arm systems are equipped with light myrmidon fists.

Powerful Attack: When making a claymore attack or claymore combo attack, the myrmidon can spend a point of focus to boost both its attack and damage roll for that attack.

Snow-Wreathed: The Khione always has concealment.

Peak Operational Duration: 2.5 hrs combat

Comments welcome, as usual (The Khione is a repost from the Ios thread in the old forums that, as far as I know, was never compiled into PDF form, with some tweaks).

1 Like

Good, flavoorfull, nice to throw at a khador party, i will direct it to my gm for the campaign explorers of the motherland

1 Like

Enhanced Interface Node [Vector Upgrade]

Cost: 300 gc (light and heavy vector) / 600 gc (colossal vector)

Description: This device replaces the standard interface node in a Cyrissist vector and grants the warcaster bonded to the vector enhanced situational awareness in order to facilitate defensive maneuvers. Unfortunately, this close connection can also cause severe feedback if the system becomes damaged.

Special Rules: A vector equipped with an enhanced interface node gains +1 DEF for every point of its controlling warcaster’s PER above 3 as long as the vector’s interface node system is not crippled and the vector is in its controlling warcaster’s Control Area.

If the interface node of a vector equipped with this upgrade is crippled while it is within its controlling warcaster’s Control Area, the warcaster suffers painful feedback:

• A living warcaster suffers 1d3 points of damage to their Intellect aspect, ignoring their power field (if their Intellect is already crippled or becomes crippled before all damage has been applied, any remaining damage is randomly assigned to other branches of their life spiral). If a living warcaster becomes disabled due to damage suffered this way, they do not have to roll on the Injury Table but automatically suffer the Concussed result (see IKRPG, pp. 216-217).
  • A clockwork vessel warcaster instead suffers a roll on the Clockwork Vessel Internal Damage Table (see NQ48, p. 67), but ignores any results except for 4 (Loss of Power) and 6 (Essence Chamber Damaged).

Installing an enhanced interface node into a vector of Cyriss or repairing a damaged enhanced interface node is handled in the same manner as installing a cortex in a steamjack (see IKRPG, p. 320).

Enhanced interface nodes are not available on the open market and can only be produced by or acquired from temples of Cyriss.

Comments welcome, as usual.

I’ve just had to wonder, where are all the other inventors (whether in DnD5 or FMF)?

I used to think Gearbook II would be the end of the road for me, but now Gearbook III is at 73 pages and there are another 7 ideas in the pipeline (9 if you consider some rewrites and reposts from the old forums that weren’t compiled by the people managing the respective threads)…

I can start to post some of my homebrew stuff if theres interest, long time ago i was working on a small animal companions gear, such as monkeys, tatylworm vipers and birds of prey, i will see if i can find the document translate to english and post

1 Like

Exemple

Tatzylwurm viper

Cost: (WIP, i have no idea how much its worth)
Skill: Animal handling(PRW)
Attack modifier: -4(-1)*
Pow: 6
Description: A mellow Tatzylwurm viper used as a weapon, weilded by eting it wrap around the weilders neck, shoulders or arm and directing the head to strike targets.
Special rules: This weapon has reach, this weapon ignore shield and buckler bonus on armor, this weapon gains an aditional damage die against living enemy targets, this weapon does not add the strength value on damage rolls, living character that suffers damage from this weapon is affected by the venom of the creature. During each of his Maintenance Phases, the affected character must make a PHY roll against a target number of 16. Outside combat, the character makes this PHY roll after every five minutes. If the character succeeds, nothing happens. If he fails, his INT is reduced by 1. If the character’s INT is reduced to 0 as a result of the venom, he is incapacitated and his body goes into neural shutdown. If his INT is reduced below 0, he dies. If a character succeeds on three PHY rolls, the venom has run its course and no longer affects the character. A character recovers lost INT caused by the venom at a rate of 1 point per full day of rest, the user of this weapon has +2 to tracking roll against envenomated targets, when acquireing this weapon he must train the viper he must spend a month training it, at the end of the month yhe character must pass a dificulty 16 animal handling test, if the character does the penalty to hit rolls becomes -1 instead of -4, if the character fail he may retake the test in a weeks time.

That’s an interesting idea, though the write-up probably needs some structuring (I had mentioned before that you need to use full stops, and paragraphs as well, haven’t I?). To maybe make a start at this, how is this “weapon” supposed to be wielded? I suspect the character is basically carrying the tatzylwurm wrapped around their shoulders and basically directs at the head and front part at enemies with an outstretched arm, or am I mistaken?

thats the idei, i forgot to describ, i was trying to remember it from memory

Playable race
Bane
Starting / Heroic / Veteran / Epic
Phy 5* / 7* / 8* / 8*
Str 4* / 6* / 7* / 8*
Spd 6* / 7* / 7* / 7*
Agl 3* / 5* / 6* / 7*
Prw 4* / 5* / 6* / 7*
Poi 4* / 5* / 6* / 7*
Int 3* / 5* / 6* / 7*
Arc -* / 4* / 6* / 8*
Per 3* / 5* / 6* /7*

Banes are hatefull spirits from the void, undead monstrosities given form once again, normaly deployed by cryx as shocktroops, they posses an unending hatred of the living for the torture their souls have suffered on the mysterious plane of existence known as the void, a odious place between caen and urcaen. Some stilll retain memories from their former life wich migh have been ended centuries or mere moments, in the latter it can have desastrous consequences on the loved ones of the bane since if not bound by a powerful necromancer will seek the subjects of its memories and act on its hatefull impulses, rare banes manege to control its murderous impulses and are able to deal with mortal in non violent ways. A majority of banes are human but non human banes are not unherd of such as the infamous lord tartarous.

Arquetipes: See bellow Mockery of life(work in progress)
Languages: See bellow Mockery of life(work in progress)
Height: Banes are the same size of the chosen race
Weight Banes are light weighting only as much as the skeleton of the chosen race plus its gear

Aditional characteristics

• Mockery of life(work in progress): this model is an undead, aditionaly when chosing this race chose another race with the GMs permission, use its base size, stat block and languages and you have acess to its archetipes and specific race careers as if you were that race.

• Dark shroud: while within 2" of this model, enemy models have -2 ARM.

• Ghostly: This model can advance through terrain and obstacles without penalty and can advance through obstructions if it has enough movement to move completely past them.

I think the bane entry definitely needs some modification to really make them playable, similar to how player Doom Reavers in IKKNG, p. 178, are explicitly stated to be among the few at least partially sane Doom Reavers. Otherwise, banes could never work in a party that wasn’t evil, and even then they could be more than borderline unplayable with how their dark impulses drive them.

Also, since you mention banes from other races, how about making “bane” a set of modifiers to a basic race template instead of a “race?” That way any kind of sentient creature could become a bane.

Last but not least, there should be some mention of how banes recover from damage, as they probably cannot normally heal. Do they need repairs instead? Can they self-repair in some manner?

It may be a good mention to put in the description that some banes can control their impulses and not act on them, like, not slaughtering the living.
It was originaly planed as a cryx suplenent that never got anywhere partialy because i have project adhd, and the fact that my players didn’t have an interest in playing a cryx campaing, since we had just came of a pirate theme campaign.
I planed to banes since they are spirits of the void incarnated they would reconstitute small damages normaly as if they were living beings, but other undead such as a scarlock thrall would need repairs when sufering damage.

It’d indeed make for a much more interesting and entertaining character if banes act with icy cold instead of murderous malevolence… and maybe to occasionally have flashes of recollection of what it used to be like to be alive.

1 Like

My girlfriend convinced to make this one first

Monkey

Cost: 500cg+
Description: an exotic small simean brought from the lands of zu. It can be trained to protect its bonded master and help with small tasks
Special rules: a character with a monkey gains the monkey bite ability( living enemy models engaged by this model recive -2 to attack rolls). Aditionaly a character may gain an additional fast action to reload a gun , pull a grenade pin pick up a small object, or do anything a small monkey could feasibly do at the game masters discretion, if you use this fast action you lose monkey bite untill your next activation.
A character with a monkey hit by an AoE or attack with range Spray and suffers five damage or more from that roll on a 1-2 the monkey is injuried and losses all rules for a week, on a 3-6 nothing happens, if the character rolls a 1-2 while the monkey is injuried it dies.
For the purpuses of targeting the monkey it has DEF: 16 ARM: 5 VIT: 5, and always has cover against ranged attacks
A monkey must be trained, training a monkey takes four weeks at the end the character must make a animal handling test of dificulty 15, if the test is a fail it can be undertaken again in a week time. A untrained monkey cannot grant you the extra fast action and also grants you a -2 to attack rolls

Heavy pistol, Bore loader

Cost: 30gc
Ammo: 1
Effective range: 36’(6")
Maximum range: 180’
Skill: Pistol
Attack modifier: -1
POW: 12
AoE: -
Description: a simple stout and formidable pistol for those who belive the conventional pistol has to little stopping power and have no need for the range of or budget for a hand cannon, sacrificing acuracy for extra power, normaly weilded in a pistol bandolier since it takes too long in combat to reload
Special rules: This weapon is a muzzle loader firear therefore taking an entire combate round to reload instead of a fast action(IKRPG core 206).
bulets, blasting powder and casings for five rounds cost 3gc

Heavy pistol, breach loader

Cost: 45gc
Ammo: 1
Effective range: 36’(6")
Maximum range: 180’
Skill: Pistol
Attack modifier: -1
POW: 12
AoE: -
Description: a simple stout and formidable pistol for those who belive the conventional pistol has to little stopping power and have no need for the range of or budget for a hand cannon, sacrificing acuracy for extra power.
Special rules: Bulets, blasting powder and casings for five rounds cost 3 gc.

1 Like

I like the two heavy pistol concepts - a bit like the dedicated pistol versions of a blunderbuss, and definitely filling a niche in between the hand cannon and the normal pistol. Two things I’d change, though: The cost for the ammunition for the bore loader heavy pistol should be 3 gc for five rounds (compare both the blunderbuss and the hand cannon), and I’m not sure if the bore loader heavy pistol’s price still needs to go up a little, to 30 gc (which puts the thing in the same category as the blunderbuss).

I also wonder if the heavy pistols don’t need to have their ranges reduced to 6" (36 feet), with extreme ranges of 30" (180 feet), in order to not infringe too much onto the territory of the blunderbuss. Reducing the range would also place the heavy pistols in between the hand cannon and the slug gun (see IKRPG, p. 270).

Again, I think the concept of animal attacks is an interesting one, and definitely appropriate for the game (feels very much like Captain Barbossa and his little Jack, doesn’t it).

I know the rule has already been presented in the tabletop game as well with one of the pirate characters, but I think we also need a little more for the role-playing game, which can afford to go more into details.

For example, I’d expect a monkey, especially a monkey that can be such a distraction, to potentially become subject to AOE and RNG:SP attacks and suffering damage, potentially even being killed. As a simplified suggestion, I’d say every time the character on whose shoulder the monkey is sitting suffers 5 or more points of damage from an AOE or RNG:SP attack, a roll must be made for the monkey: On a result of 1-3 on 1d6, the monkey is not harmed, on a result of 4-6, the monkey is injured and no longer provides any benefits, and cannot be commanded to engage in any actions. If the monkey becomes injured again before recovering, it is killed.

Additionally, if a monkey was sent on errand (e.g. “fetch that skull-stamped gold coin over there”), it’d need a DEF stat against characters taking potshots or swings at it (this should probably include a mark-up of +1 or +2 for its size). Vitality and ARM might also come into play here, though most likely would not affect the outcome much (e.g. I’d expect a tiny monkey to have 5 or fever vitality, and not more than ARM 6 or 7).

I’ve also had some additional thoughts on the viper tatzylwurm; maybe what could really be useful here is a general set of rules for attack animals a character might carry (e.g. a bird of prey being used by a falconer, or the viper tatzylwurm coiled around a character’s arm).

I’d suggest using PRW+Animal handling for making melee attacks with animals carried on the character’s person (with all the usual applicable modifiers, like using the character’s off-hand), for example. With a creature that attacks at range, like a falcon, matters become much more complicated (I’d suggest a RNG characteristic of the creature’s charge range; an extreme range would be justified as the creature moves under its own power, but it would not strike in the same turn the attack was launched, and the extreme range penalty could reflect the risk of the creature getting confused about its target, especially on a busy battlefield).

I was trying to not make it too complicated, i have the tendency of overcomplicating things for no reason, but your solution is simple enough that may work well.
The errands part is more of a GM decide how long and if the monkey is able to do it, but i can start to think of a mechanic for it.
If it had defense in case is specificaly targeted its should be something like
DEF: 16 ARM: 5 VIT: 5 always kas cover against ranged attacks

I’m working on Birds of prey, crows parrots, vulture and Hornbeak trask(mostly because mr nibbles was fun to create), the idea for the bird of prey would be having two modes in combat, blinding strike Rng 10-12 deal d3 to living target and it gets blinded for a turn, Second is spotter Rng 20-24 chose a target until you recall the bird the target loses and cant gain stealth or benefits of cocealment and allies ignore cloud effects to target that enemy, and a +2 to tracking outside of combat.
The Crow i’m more stumped on, he would have had spotter, Voice mimicry basicaly GMs way to repeat information that the bird heard to the pplayers they might may have forgoten, Pilfer he randomly gets trinkets to its owner, and a +2 to pickpockt rolls.
The parrot has spotter, Voice mimicry, anoyance enemys have -1 to hit rolls while 1" of the owner, and a +2 on social tests where the parrot would be impressive.
The vulture has spotter, gives you sitting vulture(enemys have -1DEF when b2b with you), ill omen chose a target it has -1 def and all enemys b2b with him have -1 def and +2 to intimidation rolls
The Hornbeak trask would be an extra low power attack with average MAT and average to low P+S with a once per day temporary damage and acuracy buff, he is the closest to finish.

Let’s do some quick maths: A monkey probably doesn’t run much faster than a gobber (so SPD 6), is likely just as agile (AGL 4, boosted Agility rolls), and has average perception (PER 3), which puts the basic DEF at 6+4+3=13. Since it’s very small, a +2 DEF bonus sounds in order, putting DEF at 15 (not 16).

ARM and vitality sound a bit on the high side, considering gobbers are larger and have a standard PHY of 4; by that reckoning, I’d say a monkey small enough to comfortable sit on a human-sized character’s shoulder should have PHY 3 or 4 at the most, putting their vitality at the same 3 or 4 (to keep it simple).

Last but not least, why should the monkey always have cover? Cover would indicate that there is something around the monkey that can stop bullets and shrapnel. I’d at most grant concealment while the monkey is on his master’s person, and even then I’d say just using the master’s DEF is more appropriate (or the master’s DEF +4 if somebody is trying to shoot the monkey off his shoulder - +2 for the monkey’s small size, and another +2 for concealment).

Losing stealth when being successfully spotted sounds ok, but the other bonuses do not IMHO - the bird has no way to communicate where exactly somebody is, it can only communicate that somebody is definitely there (eliminating stealth and its auto-miss effects).

I’d say most birds wouldn’t really help with tracking, either - they could help with spotting somebody sneaking around, but they can’t track where somebody has been (their senses aren’t really made for that unless you are tracking undead by using crows and vultures).