Hidden Agendas Mode

I was originally proposing a 2 vs 2 format with an additional winning condition (“hidden agendas”) in a previous post:

In the meantime, we have playtested the proposed format and it became clear, that the 2 vs 2 format and the hidden agenda rules can be treated independently. So this post introduces revised rules for hidden agendas while a separate post will revise the 2 vs 2 format.

A nicely formatted version of the rules can be found here:

A PDF version is also available.

Comments are very welcome as usual.

Hidden Agendas

Hidden Agendas are additional, separate victory conditions that are meant to spice up Warcaster games by introducing restrictions.

Victory Conditions

Primary missions and hidden agendas can be won or lost individually. In order to be won, agendas must be kept secret until the game is over. A game can have the following outcomes:

mission won mission lost
agenda won player dominates player wins
agenda lost player wins player looses

Dominating is better than winning, which is better than loosing.

Selecting Agendas

When starting a game, each player randomly determines two agendas and chooses one of them: Roll a d3 for a random category and a d6 for a random agenda from that category.

You may additionally choose variations on the selection rules:

Variation: Random Agendas

Choosing this variation on how agendas are selected is optional. All players draw randomly chosen agendas instead of being able to choose one.

Variation: Several Agendas

Choosing this variation on how agendas are selected is optional. Instead of choosing only one agenda, players may choose as many agendas as they wish. The exact number is not revealed to the other players. The agenda victory condition is only considered won if none of the drawn agendas were lost. If several players win, the winning player with the most won agendas takes the win.

Hidden Agendas

1. Competing. Roll a d6 to select a random agenda:

1. Amicicide: Be the first player to kill a friendly model.
    2. Avenger: Be the first player to kill an enemy hero.
    3. Collector: Be the first player to score a 3-point objective.
    4. Executioner: Be the first player to kill an undamaged enemy model with more than one health with a single attack.
    5. Scavenger: Be the first player to destroy an enemy warjack.
    6. Suicide: Be the first player with a dead hero solo.
  2. Overdoing. Roll a d6 to select a random agenda:

1. Furious: Have at least one model with the Arc Relay rule in your force. Deploy a model with the Arc Relay rule whenever possible. Play a Fury Cypher at every possible opportunity.
    2. Hothead: Deploy a hero solo at the beginning of the game. That hero must survive until the end of the game.
    3. Killer: Choose a hero solo. Kill five models with that hero. Among those at least one squad model, solo, and warjack.
    4. Overcautious: Always have at least one unit that counts towards the total number of units in your force (aka no Attachments and other extra units) in your reserves at any point during the whole game.
    5. Prepper: Use every possible opportunity (including Cypher cards) to allocate Arc to your models or void gates. Allocate to friendly models instead if all your models are full.
    6. Protector: Score the same objective on every opportunity.
  3. Sabotaging. Roll a d6 to select a random agenda:

1. Arconnoisseur: End every pulse round with at least one unit having at least two Geometrics, Harmonics or Overdrives on them.
    2. Egoist: Never play a non-Fury Cypher card on a friendly model.
    3. Porter: Destroy two void gates with 2 or more Arc each by clearing Arc from them in the same turn. Do not place a new gate that turn.
    4. Saboteur: Allocate Arc to a hero at every possible opportunity. Clear all Arc from a hero at every possible opportunity.
    5. Suicide: Have at least two models die from fall damage.
    6. Traitor: Roll blast damage on friendly models at least once every pulse round. Kill at least one friendly model with a blast damage roll in this game.
1 Like

Just as a general design principle: you absolutely do not want to reward people for killing their own models, or provide disincentives for opponents to attack your models (i.e. “Wait, if I kill his hero he wins!”).

That sort of thing is too prone to abuse.

Hey thanks for the feedack!

This cannot happen by design. Either the opponent knows your agenda, in which case it is automatically lost, or he does not know it and thus cannot be disincentived.

Why do you think this is the case?

Generally speaking, I think the biggest drawback of Hidden Agendas is the lack of playtesting. We were able to test some of the agendas, but not all by far. So maybe a necessary step would be to reduce the number of agendas to 9 (d3 times d3) so that they are easier to test and to balance. But I am happy to make revisions and new versions as we go along.

Quick reply. One of your achievements is to be the first person to kill your own model. Another is to be the first person to lose a hero.

I like the idea, and would like to use them. Just IMO if/when i get to use them.

I don’t really understand how the conditions always use fury, or make user a unit is always charged is monitored.

I think I would change the categories from type to difficulty
tiers and i was reward points that are added to a player ending score. Simple +1, difficulty +2, Hard +4. Simple would be objectives that can be completed in a turn, different are objectives that will most likely need a pulse round to complete, and Hard would be objectives that would require a condition persist for the who game.

I would probably need to increase objective scoring but, having Simple Agenda run every pulse round might be interesting.

I really wanted to have this 3x6 grouping. I believe this led to some agendas that are a little bit constructed. It would probably be best to reduce the number to 3x3 and focus on the most sensible.

This is an interesting idea. It would not even contradict the current one. There could just be two modes how to use hidden agendas.

I will toy around with it and see where I end up.

1 Like

I dont really have people to play, so I look forward to the results. Let me know if you would like to pick my brain. I like the community engagement.

Very cool, I will try it out

1 Like