Animi and rules that effect spells

This conversation came up with my local group and I was hoping for clarification; are Animi considered spells for all rules that effect spells, such as feats that increase or reduce the cost of spells. The section of the rules on Animi says

Remember that a model that casts an animus, whether it is a warbeast or a warlock, is considered to be casting a spell. So, if a rule prohibits a model from casting a spell, that model also cannot be forced to cast its animus. If a rule increase the COST of a spell, the COST of animi also increases.

The point of contention is basically whether or not those two sentences about rules that prevent casting and rules that increase cost are the two specific instances where an Animus is considered a Spell, or whether Animi are always considered spells and those two sentences are just examples.

2 Likes

While I can’t point to something in the rules to necessarily support this, the use of “So,” at the beginning of the second sentence suggests to me that that sentence and the following one are intended to be examples. If they were their own independent rules I don’t think they would have used “So,”. I believe that the only sentence that is actually a rule is the first sentence, and based on that, animi that are cast are treated as spells for all purposes.

2 Likes

Yea I think so too, but I figured it would be worth getting clarification on since it seems unlikely that we’re the only group that has had this discussion.

1 Like

I think this is the relevant rules quote that answers all your questions.

If you are casting an animus, you are casting a spell. Simple as that. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Those are a few specific examples, but not an exhaustive list.
A Thrullg would still damage them, as an example not listed above.

1 Like

An Animus that is cast is a spell for other effects.

1 Like

Awesome, thanks for clarifying