Morgan's Iron Kingdoms Gearbooks: FMF Liber Mechanika

A repost of another ranged head-mounted weapon for steamjacks, this time spewing flames instead of projectiles:

A repost of a Iosan support myrmidon that helps other myrmidons maintain their force fields:

A repost of two pieces of equipment for steamjacks that are intended to discourage engaging them in melee:

A repost of an idea for a small chain gun mounted in a steamjack’s head:

A repost of a support myrmidon that can aid other arcanika (including other myrmidons) in recharging their power cells:

Dodge and Deflect

[Mechanikal Rune]
Type: Armour
Cost: 300 gc
Rune Points: 2

Effect: While a suit of armour equipped with this rune is powered, once per round the character wearing this suit of armour gains +1 DEF and +1 ARM against a single attack. The wearer of the suit of armour must decide whether to apply the rune’s bonuses after the attack roll, which may still render a narrow hit a miss instead, but before the damage roll for the attack is made.
A character who has been rendered stationary cannot benefit from the effects of this rune.

Comments welcome, as usual.

Soul Vortex

[Mechanikal Rune]
Type: Armour
Cost: 300 gc
Rune Points: 2
Effect: While the suit of armour equipped with this rune is powered, the wearer of this suit of armour is considered to be 12 feet (2”) closer than they actually are when determining whether they can collect a soul token from a slain character.
This rune’s effects do increase the maximum distance at which the character wearing the suit of armour equipped with this rune can collect soul tokens, but has no effect if the character cannot collect soul tokens.
Morgan’s Notes: It shouldn’t need mentioning that this rune is highly illegal in most of the Iron Kingdoms. There are rumours, however, that some members of the Menite order of the Reclaimers make use of mechanikal armour or talismans equipped with “sanctified” versions of this rune.

Comments welcome, as usual.

This post has been moved here from the general FMF Gearbooks thread:

Shouldn’t this be an aurum-grade cortex rather than an arcanum-grade cortex? Otherwise this cortex would actually be a downgrade from an arcanum-grade cortex, which comes stock with INT 3, rather than an upgrade, and should make the cortex cheaper (at probably around 2,200 gc), not more expensive. Alternatively, the downgrade in INT could compensate for the switcher ability, but even then I’d put the cortex at the same price as a standard arcanum-grade cortex.

I think the enhanced combat reflex array is a really neat idea, but I think it would be better served to give it a name that differentiates it better from other reflex arrays, as their names are starting to get confusing. Since the effect is similar to the Nyss Ryssovass’s Blade Shield ability (Unleashed Core book, pp. 133 and 156), why not give it a similar name, like Blocking Flourish?

As a few rules points, I think the rules for the enhanced combat reflex system also need to state the device only affects melee attacks originating in the 'jack’s front arc, and requires the arm system as well as the cortex system to not be crippled.

I think this device should be called Blade Shield, since its effects are identical to the Ryssovass’s Blade Shield ability, and this would help clarify things. The rules should probably also include that only ranged attacks originating in the steamjack’s front arc are affected, and that the arm system as well as the cortex needs to not be crippled for the system to work.

Alternatively, instead of having the Duelist II’s defensive systems require a functioning cortex as well as a functioning limb, how about only requiring the systems to have a functioning limb, but prevent the 'jack from switching to a different protocol while its cortex is crippled?

The switching idea is a really neat way to accommodate multiple systems that would normally be exclusive, by the way :ok_hand:. It’s putting a lot of eggs into one expensive basket, of course, but considering the state Llael is in, that’s exactly how they can make the most of the small number of steamjacks they have :sweat:.

The estoc from Gearbook I is non-mechanikal. What are the mechanikal systems in the Duelist II’s estoc, or is it just meant to be a platform for whatever mechanikal runeplate the 'jack’s handler wishes to install (though even then the power source should be mentioned, as it may restrict the rune plate load, and installing a different power source would unbalance the weapon)?

The standart plate would be this one, but one of the ideas would be so it could be customized

Powerful attack

Type: Melee or Ranged Weapon

Cost: 450Gc

Rune points: 3

Special rules: This rune is also a bond rune, additionally when this character boosts with focus as an attack roll it also boosts all damage rolls resulting from that attack.

I think this can’t be both a bond plate rune as well as grant the powerful attack ability, as the cost of a standard bond plate rune is already 2 rune points.

I’d like to suggest making this rune “Powerful Attack [Steamjack Weapon]” and rephrase the special rules as “When a steamjack wielding a powered weapon equipped with this rune makes an attack with this weapon and spends a point of focus to boost the attack roll, the damage roll is boosted as well” to accommodate how steamjacks handle focus differently than warcasters, who need to bond to their weapons.

it was created originaly for warcasters, so it would work for them and i didnt want to create a second one just for steamjacks.
Good catch, i didnt even noticed the bond was a 2 cost rune, so another thing needed change but thats alllright

Don’t I know that - after all, I put it in Gearbooks I (p. 15), called “Brutal” there… :stuck_out_tongue:

Good to know i must have forgoten it, so no need for this great

No, there is need for a different version of the rune - just for a different version that specifically works with steamjacks, because with steamjacks the bond is with the 'jack, not with the weapon.

it was me trying to A not overcomplicate and B being lazy
So the way im making it Magnus foecleaver X is illegal based on the rune costs since im also developing this:

Armor piercer

Type: Melee Weapon

Cost: 450Gc

Rune points: 3

Special rules: the weapon receives -1 POW, and with a fast action you may activate this rune, if you do you may make only one attack on your combat action, but when calculating damage from this weapon, halve the base ARM of characters hit by this attack

Why should Foecleaver X be illegal? A weapon has a rune point capacity of 5, so with a bond plate for +2 rune points and this one for +3, the rune load is just maxed out, that’s all.

Also, it’s a quick action, not a fast action (but that may be a translation issue?).

I’d suggest changing this runeplate a little further:

• Make it “Type: Melee Weapon (blade),” as an armour-piercing hammer looks a little silly (There would be borderline cases, of course, like spiked maces and spiked hammers).
  • For the special rules, I’d suggest “Once during each activation, the character wielding this weapon may use a quick action to trigger this rune’s effects before making an attack with this weapon. The weapon’s POW is reduced by 1, but the base ARM of the character hit is halved (rounded up). This effect lasts for one round or until an attack has been made, whichever comes first.”
1 Like

Foeclever X also has powerfull attack.
But if there is someone wuo found a way to break the system is magnus
All good sugestion, and the fast/quick is a translation issue, in portuguese they are the same word

Yeah, the officially posted Privateer Press material can mostly be translated into the FMF system extremely well - mostly, but not always. In the cases where the material just becomes contradictory, I’d go with what the FMF rules allow instead.

However, with Magnus, maybe the Powerful Attack ability is due to his mechanikal arm, so if I wanted to represent Magnus, that’s how I’d finagle this. It could also be due to a system in his armour (like one of the other warcaster armour upgrades in Gearbooks II and III).

1 Like

as i said, if there is someone capable of breaking the systems of mekanica is magnus, lets not forget he created two decent to great warjacks(renegade and mangler) on a cave, the first superheavy(invictus)