Slammed, Contacting, and Knockdown

Recently I saw a thread going into specifics on when a slammed model is knocked down as it relates to rules like Athena’s Defense Formation, and it seemed to indicate models that have a smaller than the slammed model that the slammed model passes over during the slam are not knocked down until after the slam movement is completed. See thread here:

Defense/ Battle formation and slams

There are two responses in this post that would indicate that the models slammed over are knocked down after the movement is resolved:

First, the response from Michael:
"The slammed model moved through the smaller-based model. Slammed doesn’t say to stop and resolve anything during the slam movement, so you do not.

So: the slammed model is moved, ends that movement without being B2B, and is knocked down. Because it passed through a smaller-based model during that movement, and because the smaller-based model is not B2B, the smaller-based model is knocked down. Neither model benefits from the +2 ARM when moving on to Step 8."

Second, the response from SaltTitan:
“edit: Michael is correct I believe, nothing is resolved until the movement is finished so they wouldn’t be B2B when you determine if they should be knocked down.”

However, I have been reading over the wording of slam movement, and contact, and am struggling to reconcile this interpretation with the rules as written.

If the ruling is to stand, I would love to see an update to the wording of slammed to clarify when resolving the knockdown of contacted models.

Please see below the relevant rules to this, along with an example to clarify what is happening.

Scenario:
Athena is standing behind a Stryker in her battle group, in B2B with that Stryker. The Stryker is hit by the spell ‘Thunder Strike’ casted by the Horruskh and slammed 4" in such a way that the Stryker contacts and passes over Athena, from point A to point B in my below example.

Now we need to resolve the 4" slam:

1. The Stryker moves directly away from the point of origin the distance rolled (4" inches in this case).
    a. “If a slammed model contacts a model with an equal or smaller base or moves through a model with a smaller base, the contacted model becomes knocked down and suffers a collateral damage roll determined by the spell or attack the caused the slam.”

This is where the contention comes in to play with how to resolve this.

The rules states if a model contacts […] the contacted model becomes knocked down.

The contact rules states:
“One model contacts another when it changes from not being base-to-base with it to being base-to-base with it. Additionally, when a model is already base-to-base with another model and would move toward it, it is considered to contact that model again.”

To me this reads clearly, the model is knocked down when it is contacted, which requires it to be in B2B with the model.

Athena has the rule Defense Formation which states:
“While in this model’s control range and B2B with one or model models in its battlgroup, models in this model’s battlegroup gain +2 ARM and cannot become knocked down.”

I would then contend that the resolution to this slam is as follows:

1. Move the Stryker
  2. Upon contacting Athena resolve if Athena would be knocked down
    2.a) Athena cannot be knocked down while in B2B, which is the case for contacting
  3. Finish Stryker slam movement
  4. Knock down Stryker
    4.a) Stryker is not in B2B with another member if in the battlegroup so it is knocked down.

Question:
Is my above resolution accurate, or does the statement “nothing is resolved until the movement is finished so they wouldn’t be B2B when you determine if they should be knocked down” hold?

If the statement holds, could the wording of slammed be updated to reflect that ruling?

1 Like

Intuitively it feel she should not be knocked down, but I don’t know how rules-as-written works out here.

If she is not in contact with the Stryker at the end of thr movement of the slanted model she will be knocked down

Perfect thank you for the clarification. Is there any chance that could be clarified in the wording of the rule?

The section that brings up confusion is the present tense of ‘if the model contacts’. If this was instead worded as, ‘after the slammed model is moved, any model contacted during the slam move are knocked down and suffer a collateral damage roll’ or something to that effect, I think there would be much less confusion on timing.

I can always send in, and link this thread, for suggested feedback

So no problem