Resistance:Fire and Draconic Aura

Situation:
Turn 1a - A model within the Wyvern’s Draconic Aura suffers the fire continuous effect, so it becomes “on fire.”
Turn 1b - The fire cannot expire while the model is in 10 inches of the dragon, so the model takes a POW 12. During the turn, the model gains Resistance:Fire. The fire continuous effect still cannot expire because of the aura.
Turn 2a - The Draconic Aura effect ends. The model still has Resistance:Fire.

Question 1: Does the fire go out when the Aura effect ends? One could argue that it does not expire, because the model didn’t gain immunity while it suffered the effect … it already had the immunity.

Question 2: If this model is gaining Resistance Fire because of Tide Pool, would the fire go out upon expiration of Draconic Aura because the Tide Pool condition is always checking, and therefore the model is always gaining Resistance:Fire?

Draconic Aura says “Fire continuous effects affecting enamy models within 10 inches of the spellcaster cannot expire.”

Resistance:Fire says “this model is immune to the Fire continuous effect.”

Immunity to Continuous Effects says:“A model that is immune to a continuous effect never suffers the effect,” and “If a model gains immunity to a continuous effect while suffering that effect, the continuous effect immediately expires.”

Tide Pool: “While in the temaplate, models gain Resistance:Fire.”

1 Like

This is covered by Rule Priority:

Here are the Resistance: Fire and the Immunity to Continuous Effects rules:

Here’s Draconic Aura:

So, what happens if a model within Draconic Aura gains Resistance: Fire?

Because the first step in resolving "Rule Priority is “If one rule specifically states its interaction with another rule, follow it.”, and because “Immunity to Continuous Effects” specifically addresses the interaction you’re asking about (“If a model gains immunity to a continuous effect while suffering that effect, the continuous effect immediately expires.”), then Immunity takes precedence.

It has to resolve first before the "cannot, " because Draconic Aura does not specify anything such as “cannot expire…even if the model is immune to fire”.

(All that being said: yes, I think there’s a solid argument to be made both ways, but until/unless we have Infernal clarification that the Draconic Aura’s “cannot” is the “specifically states its interaction with another rule” rule and thus takes primacy, I think this is the correct interaction. Basically, it all hinges on the “cannot” rule resolving second due to Rule Priority, and because Draconic Aura has the “cannot”, it goes second.)

Tagging @elswickchuck just in case… :slight_smile:

(And, you’re probably wondering “Okay then, why bother with that ‘cannot expire’ stuff?” And that is: so you don’t bother rolling to see if it expires during the Maintenance Phase.)

1 Like

For what its worth I really disagree on your interpretation on the the rule priority here, but the infernal signal has already been lit.

I believe the correct interpretation is that they are both equally specific and that the cannot trumps the can.

Gaining Fire Resistance specifically calls out the fire expiring immediately so it would not recheck later RAW, but dev intent may differ from my strict texualism. You could, of course, recast or reenter the tide pool which would cause a new check to remove the fire.

As for the tide pool constantly checking: you have fire resistance the entire time so any rechecking would be irrelevant since you cannot stack same named abilities. (The existance if the constant check is also pending the prowl ruling)

Minor note on the pow: if under draconic aura the fire check would be POW 14, not 12, but could be 1d6 if you are fire resistant when it occurs.

2 Likes

Question 1: Does the fire go out when the Aura effect ends? One could argue that it does not expire, because the model didn’t gain immunity while it suffered the effect … it already had the immunity.

Fire will go out when the Aura ends.

Question 2: If this model is gaining Resistance Fire because of Tide Pool, would the fire go out upon expiration of Draconic Aura because the Tide Pool condition is always checking, and therefore the model is always gaining Resistance:Fire?

Yes

2 Likes

Chuck,

Can you explain the rationale on this one?

Does Draconic Aura’s “cannot expire” supersede Resistance: Fire’s “If a model gains immunity to a continuous effect while suffering that effect, the continuous effect immediately expires”?

And if so, why?

Using a previous ruling from mkiii as the simplest fix.

However if you have a strong opinion on one way plesse post here just so i can see the discussion. Maybe i misread the situation in regards to the question and scenario

Chuck,

Thanks!

My rationale is in the second post in the thread. It’s my best understanding of how this works. :slight_smile:

There’s a bit of wiggle room concerning which rule wins in Rule Priority, depending on exactly how you choose to interpret “If one rule specifically states its interaction with another rule, follow it.”

So what is the wiggle room?

In summary and in brief:

Rules Priority says to resolve, in order, 1. rules that specify their interaction with other rules, and then 2. rules that say “cannot.”

My interpretation is that, because Resistance: Fire does not use “cannot”, and specifies an interaction with another rule (“If a model gains immunity to a continuous effect while suffering that effect, the continuous effect immediately expires.”), it “wins the race” in Rule Priority and the continuous effect expires first, because Draconic Aura, due to the “cannot”, has to get resolved second.

But there’s room to say “Draconic Aura is actually the rule specifying the interaction with another rule”, and thus it wins and the continuous effect does not expire. :slight_smile:

(But I would have expected wording like “Draconic Aura - …cannot expire even if the model is immune to fire” to make the interaction bulletproof and ironclad if that was the intent.)

(Edited to add:
It gets really weird conceptually because a model that started with Resistance: Fire before Draconic Aura was applied would never suffer the continuous effect, but a model that gains Resistance: Fire does suffer the continuous effect and it can’t expire, leading to the same rule behaving two very different ways: a model with Resistance: Fire either can or cannot be affected by a continuous effect, depending on when it was applied. Which just sits weird with me.)