Nuzak's Steamshop

I have now implemented the changes, including clarity between gc and reputation (as suggested) and updated the pdf.

1 Like

For my next trick, a career option for Man-O-Wars. I have always been a big fan of power armor and the Iron Kingdoms are one f the settings I think does it best both in fluff and rules.

Man-o-War Firebat (Man-O-War/Soldier)
Only a character who begins with the Man-O-War and Soldier careers can be a Man-O-War Firebat.

A character taking this option:
• Begins with Light Artillery 2 and Unarmed Combat 2 but does not gain any other Military Skills.
• Starts the game with the Pyromaniac and Two-Weapon Fighting ability, but does not start with Find Cover and Sentry.
• Begins with Man-O-War Firebat armor, but not Man-O-War armor and weapon options.

New Abilities

Pyromaniac

Prerequisite : Ironhead, Light Artillery 2

For you, fire has become a way of life and what you can do in your Firebat armor is almost magic. People tend to stay clear of you path, both on and off the battlefield. When in man-o-war firebat armor and armed with two incinerator gauntlets, instead of attacking with the weapons, this character can take a full action and choose one of the following options:

Firewall : Place a wall template anywhere completely in the incinerator gauntlet’s range and in his line of sight, ignoring intervening characters. When a character enters or ends his turn in the wall area, he suffers a POW 12 fire damage roll and the Fire continuous effect. Characters within the wall template gain concealment. The wall template remains in play for round.

Concentrated Burst : Make a single attack, but increase RNG to SP10 and POW to 14.

Combustion : All characters within 2” of this character suffer a POW 13 fire damage roll and the Fire continuous effect.

Oil Spill : Make a single SP8 attack. The attack deals no damage but any character hit is drenched in fuel for d3+1 rounds. The first fire damage roll dealing damage to a character hit by oil spill is boosted, and the character is no longer drenched in fuel.

Each time the character uses this ability, he expends one shots worth of flamethrower fuel from both incinerator gauntlets.

1 Like

Gear

Man-O-War Firebat Armor

Cost : 2,000 gc

SPD Modifier: –3

DEF Modifier: –3

ARM Modifier: +9

Description : Incorporating new volatile weaponry and heat shielding, the Man-O-War Firebat is Khadors latest advancement in steam armor technology. Created to spearhead and support assault kommando advances, as well as to clear massed infantry allowing the other branches of Man-O-Wars to focus on their strengths. Man-O-War Firebat armor comes equipped with twin Incinerator Gauntlets that lets it easily drown any opponent in scorching flame and the heat shielding and additional reinforcements increases the armors structural integrity slightly.

Man-O-War Firebat armor can carry a full fuel load of 40 pounds of coal and 170 pounds of water. It will burn a full load of fuel in 8 hours of general operation or in 1.5 hours of combat operation. Every day a suit of Man-O-War Firebat armor is in operation, whether in combat or not, it should be refueled and refilled with water.

Special Rules: A character must have the Ironhead ability to use Man-O-War Firebat armor. It can be worn only by characters with human-like proportions and is optimized for wearers approximately six and a half feet tall.

Putting on or removing Man-O-War Firebat armor takes five minutes.

A character receiving assistance in taking off the armor can do so one minute faster for each other character assisting him, to a minimum of two minutes to put on or remove the armor.

Characters in Man-O-War Fireat armor are medium-based characters while wearing the armor.

A character wearing Man-O-War Firebat armor gains +3 STR.

A character wearing Man-O-War Firebat armor gains the Immunity: Fire ability.

Man-O-War Firebat armor incorporates two Incinerator Gauntlets and a fuel tank for each.

Man-O-War Firebat armor incorporates a gas mask (IK Core p274).

A character wearing Man-O-War Firebat armor gains ten additional damage boxes that must be lost before the character starts losing vitality on his life spiral. These boxes represent additional protection granted by the armor. After these boxes are gone, the wearer suffers damage to his life spiral normally.

Despite being incredibly durable and resilient, Man-O-War Firebat armor also houses extremely complex and sophisticated machinery that is subject to damage and wear. Whether the damage is applied to the armor’s damage boxes or the wearer’s life spiral, when a character wearing Man-O-War Firebat armor suffers 7 or more points of damage as a result of a damage roll, a roll must be made on the Man-O-War Firebat Armor Internal Damage Table to determine if any internal systems are also damaged.

Repairing damage to Man-O-War Firebat armor requires access to sheet metal, scrap, and a full repair kit. Every hour a mechanic labors over a damaged suit of Man-O-War Firebat armor, he can repair an amount of damage equal to his Mechanical Engineering skill level. If the character has access to a full machinist’s shop and/or a ready supply of replacement parts, he can remove an additional d3 damage points each hour. A mechanik who is assisted in his repairs by additional characters with the Mechanical Engineering skill can remove one additional damage point for each other character assisting him. Paying to have non-internal damage to a suit of Man-O-War Firebat armor repaired costs 10 gc per hour per mechanik working on it.

Man-O-War Firebat Armor Internal Damage Table

When a character wearing Man-O-War Firebat armor suffers 7 or more points of damage as a result of a damage roll, a roll must be made on the Man-O-War Firebat Armor Internal Damage Table to determine if any internal systems are also damaged. If the armor suffers the same effect on a subsequent roll before the previous effect has been repaired, the armor suffers no additional internal damage.

Incinerator Gauntlet

Cost: — (Incinerator Gauntlets cannot be bought separately; they are always part of a suit of Man-O-War Firebat armor)

Ammo: 10

Effective Range: 48 feet (SP 8)

Extreme Range:

Skill: Light Artillery

Attack Modifier: 0

POW: 12

Description: A heavy reinforced gauntlet of Man-O-War armor with a twin nuzzled flamethrower attached, and a thick armored fuel line leading to a large fuel tank.

Special Rules: Incinerator Gauntlets cause fire damage. A character hit by a Incinerator Gauntlet suffers the Fire continuous effect.

Refueling a Incinerator Gauntlet requires removing the spent tank and strapping on a replacement tank. Removing or replacing a tank each requires a full action.

When used as a melee weapon, this weapon has an attack modifier of 0, is POW 2, and uses the Unarmed Combat Weapon skill.

While this weapon is fueled and ignited, a character armed with Incinerator Gauntlets deal 1 additional point of fire

damage and the Fire continuous effect with Unarmed Attacks made with the fists.

The Two-Weapon Fighting ability can be used with Incinerator Gauntlets.

A character with the Two-Weapon Fighting ability armed with a pair of Incinerator Gauntlets does not suffer the –2 penalty on attacks rolls with the second weapon or when making an attack with a second fist.

Incinerator Gauntlets leave the hands free, but a character cannot attack with an Incinerator Gauntlet in a turn he attacks with something held in the same hand as the gauntlet.

It costs 30 gc for a fresh tank of flamethrower fuel.

1 Like

Summary of differences between normal man-o-war and firebat armor:
Immunity: fire
Build-in Gasmask
Build-in flamethrower fists
Additional Internal damage: It explodes
Increased nternal damage threshold to 7 (up from 5)

Thats a nice solution, otherwise could just say that the held item takes damage if the flamethrower is used(that may need testing but could be interesting, howeverir could make things complicated)

So i would sugest putting a clause that if the tank is empity the explosion does not happen,( not needed but it is nice)

Firebat, love how a stupid US weapon concept still has relevance today(yes blizard is/was found of this name)

1 Like

Thats a nice solution, otherwise could just say that the held item takes damage if the flamethrower is used(that may need testing but could be interesting, howeverir could make things complicated)

That would be very complicated for several reasons, including that there are no rules in place for damaging items.

So i would sugest putting a clause that if the tank is empity the explosion does not happen,( not needed but it is nice)
Firebat, love how a stupid US weapon concept still has relevance today(yes blizard is/was found of this name)

Good idea, I will implement this:
If there is no ammo remaining, nothing happens.
Will be added as the final sentance

Need a light?

1 Like

There is a table with materials with durability(ARM) and health, and i do agree that it may be complicated sine there is not a dicreption of what materials compose majority of weapons/gear and many could have arguments and PP didn’t predict we would be going this insane on simulationist aspect and unecessary, but i checked that since i presented that one of my players would do the “why i need to drop my handkeald item”, and he would try to argue that it should be able, thankfully out of game, and my players are insane, one sold her soul to the infernals for a brothel, and they badgered me to how will i put it…homebrew a steampowered sex toy, because an NPC used it as a joke to say she was ocuppied and wouldn’t take tooo complex of projects…

1 Like

Before anyone joke about it, they planet to install it on steam jacks crotches, to use them in the brothel…

1 Like

I have added the Man-O-War Firebat pdf to links

I think the firebat armour may be a bit underpriced. I’d break the price down as follows:

• 1,500 gc man-o-war armour base price
    *350 gc fire shielding (as per a light steamjack; see Kings, Nations, Gods, p. 350)
    *100 gc for the incinerator gauntlets’ flamethrowers (the equivalent of two assault kommando flamethrowers, see Kings, Nations, Gods, p. 186)
    *300 gc for the two heavy gauntlets (the equivalent of two light steamjack fists, see IKRPG Core Rules, p. 319)
    *300 gc for failsafes against internal system damage (see No Quarter 52, p. 38)

This should put the firebat armour at 2,550 g; considering the gauntlet’s ability to negate off-hand penalties both for ranged and melee gauntlet attacks, I’d say this would still be a fair price.

1 Like

I’d like to suggest some alterations for the Pyromaniac set of abilities:

Pyromaniac [Proposal]

Prerequisite : Ironhead, Light Artillery 2

For you, fire has become a way of life and what you can do in your Firebat armor is almost magic. People tend to stay clear of you path, both on and off the battlefield. When in man-o-war firebat armor and armed with two incinerator gauntlets, instead of attacking with the weapons, this character can take a full action and choose one of the following options:

Firewall : Place a wall template anywhere completely within 6" of this character and in their line of sight, as long as no other character is between the wall template and this character. When a character enters or ends his turn in the wall template, they suffer a POW 12 fire damage roll and the Fire continuous effect. Characters within 1" of the wall template gain concealment. The wall template remains in play for round. Using this ability requires two units of fuel to be spent by each incinerator gauntlet.

Concentrated Burst : Make a single attack, but increase POW to 14. Using this ability requires one unit of fuel to be spent by each incinerator gauntlet. [Compare IKRPG, p. 309, steamjack flamethrower rules.]

Saturation Burst: Make a single attack. Characters not directly hit by the attack but touched by the spray template suffer a POW 6 fire blast damage roll, and if they take damage, they also suffer the Fire continuous effect. Using this ability requires one unit of fuel to be spent by each incinerator gauntlet.

Combustion : All characters within 2” of this character suffer a POW 12 fire damage roll and the Fire continuous effect. Using this ability requires one unit of fuel to be spent by each incinerator gauntlet.

2 Likes

I dont think the firebat armor needs to be more expensive. Buying the regular man-o-war costs the same as crafting the base ironhead armor, man-o-war is mass produced and ironhead is custom made, upgrading the ironhead to be the equal of man-o-war is very expensive and requires quite a few upgrades. So I think it is fair to not just count everything and keep adding to the price. I also looked at the price for the tanker armor, the monster that it is, “only” costs 2625 gc. While this is not including its weapons, I still think it is fair to compare their prices (given how much extra the tanker gets) and to say the price for the firebat should be roughly in between the regular man-o-war and the tanker.

I will be keeping the Pyromaniac ability the same as well, while I do really like the Saturation Burst you made I am not too big of a fan of the other changes. If I come up with another option, I might split the options in two abilities with 3 in each (you only get to start with one ability) and include the Saturation Burst.

Have some more Man-O-War gear:

Man-O-War Shot Cannon
Cost: 250 gc (normally only available to members of the Man-o-War corps)
Ammo: 2 (metal-cased heavy shot round)
Effective Range: SP10
Extreme Range:
Skill: Light Artillery
Attack Modifier: 0
POW: 13
AOE : —
Description: An oversized twin-barreled scattergun, the shot cannon provides the man-o-war corps with powerful close-range fire support. Made for trench and city fighting, when the shield cannon can’t keep up with the high number of foes and the bombardier cannons range cannot be fully utilized.
Special Rules: A character must have at least STR 7 to use this weapon.

This weapon requires two hands.

A character can discharge both barrels as a single action. Make an attack roll with an additional –2 penalty. If the attack hits, increase the POW of the attack by +3.

Reloading each barrel takes one quick action.

It costs 6 gc for blasting powder, shot, and casing for one metal-cased heavy shot round.

2 Likes

Bombardier Rounds
Cost: See below (normally only available to members of the Man-o-War corps)
Description: The bombardier grenade cannon has served Khardor well in many battles, and will continue to do so for many more. However, as the enemies of the Motherland change and adapt so must Khador. Over the years several specialized types of grenades has been developed. The greatest addition came shortly after the capture of the Golden Crucible facilities at Thunderhead in the form of the insidious devil’s gasp round.

Devil’s Gasp: Devil’s gasp is a volatile and toxic alchemical weapon. It is not only a potent explosive, when detonated, devil’s gasp created lingering mist like gas clouds of insidious potency. Though it does not soak through the skin, the gas dissolved the tissues of the lungs in the men who breathed it, ensuring a slow, agonizing death that ends with victims drowning in their own blood. The sickly yellow-green gas is heavier then air and will often pool in crevices, foxholes, cellars and the like. In undisturbed places or when used in large enough quantities, the gas can linger for days and spell an untimely death for those who stumble upon it.

An attack made with a devil’s gasp round does not deal damage normally, instead any living character hit by a devil’s gasp AoE suffers a POW 12 corrosion damage roll and the Corrosion continuous effect, this is a gas effect. The devil’s gasp AoE is a cloud effect, gas effect that remains in play for d3+1 rounds. While in the AoE, living characters suffer –2 DEF and –2 on attack rolls, and living characters who enters or ends their turn in the AoE suffers the Corrosion continuous effect. It costs 50 gc for 1 devil’s gasp round.

A character with at least two ranks in Alchemy and an alchemy lab can attempt to produce a devil’s gasp round. The alchemist must first produce a vial of devil’s gasp in liquid form. A vial of devil’s gasp require 2 unit of alchemist’s stone, 2 unit of mineral acids, 1 unit mutagenic extract. After four hours of labor, the alchemist makes an INT + Alchemy roll against a target number of 15. If the roll succeeds, the character creates one unit of devil’s gasp. If the roll fails, he creates one unit of alchemical waste (liquid). To create a Bombardier round, the devil’s gasp can then be loaded into an empty clockwork casing. Powder and casings costs an additional 6 gc per round.

Smoke: Similar to a standard smoke grenade, but scaled up. A smoke round produces a larger volume of smoke, which lasts somewhat longer than the standard grenade. Both of which is useful for covering the advance of hulking man-o-wars.

Smoke rounds cause no damage and the AoE becomes 4”. The weapon’s AOE is a cloud effect that remains in play for d3+1 rounds. It costs 7 gc for 1 smoke round.

2 Likes

Chainsword
Cost : 350 gc
Range : 2" Reach.
Skill : Great Weapon.
Attack Modifier : –1
POW : 6
Description : Based on the same principle as the bombardier cannon’s chain blade but taken to the extreme. The chainsword is a chainsaw in the shape of a large broad sword, almost as long as a man. Originally proposed as a cheaper alternative to the ice maul, the chainsword’s development suffered many setbacks and deadly failures. Even when those were eventually solved, the weapon had gained a bad reputation and while it fulfilled its intended role well, it could not quit match the raw power of the ice maul. Not many was made, but they are occasionally seen in the hands of collectors and eccentric man-o-war officers.

The chainsword’s motor must be refilled with five pounds of coal and water after every thirty minutes of use.

Special Rules : A character must have at least STR 7 to use this weapon.

This weapon requires two hands.

If this weapon critically hits during this characters’s activation, after the attack is resolved this character may make an additional attack against the same target. This additional attack may trigger additional shreds.

On a hit with this weapon during this characters’s activation, attacks made with this weapon against the character hit by this weapon automatically hit it. If this characters attacks another character with this weapon this activation, attacks against the last character hit with this weapon no longer automatically hit it.

2 Likes

Bulkhead representation

The weapon is nice but i dont think the -1 attack modifier is necessary, maybe a -2(one handed) 0(Two handed) and a STR 9 requirement to one hand the weapon

those rules do not synergise well Crit: Shreed wants you to have a lot of rolls to fish for crits, and sustained attacks removes rolls save for the first hit, and you may only have max 2 initials(there is cleave and other rules that could grant more) with a two handed weapon, and with sustained attack you max to one free attack per target, sustained is better on jacks/beasts since they can buy more attacks with the same weapon, if the intention was, Yeah it was knd of a bad idea that somehow made to production it does have its charm (hello Bulletstorm’s twin Fury machine guns)

1 Like

Forgot to mention why i sugested those changes, its basicaly because it wil be more of hassel to get but a human will have two(Three) carrers that will make good use of it Man-O-War and Ironhead (and my failed experiment) and the one its meant to be used is a restricted carrer only considering the civilized part your sugestion is great, but there is the counterpart of the uncivilized side and the warrior and berserk careers make extreme good use of that weapon warrior has Specialization(Any) and in the case of Ogrum two weapon fighting and Berserk has well Berserk and Overtake and a few other good abilities and are not restricted.
and on the FMF side only two oficial races can use it at heroic (STR 7) with little investiment, ogrum and trollkin, on the unleashed we have Bog trog ,Farrow, Gatorman, Tharn, Ogrom, Blighte ogrum and Trollkin, and there is a new way to human to archive the STR 7 the Skinwalker(IKU Wild adventures) wich has acess to both Berserker and Warrior, and if you use my sugestion all those races except the ogrum now can only acess it’s full potential at earliest at veteran since only one/thre Race can get STR 9 without Man-O-War armor heroic level (those being Ogrum/IKU Ogrum, and Blighted Ogrum you can add pugilist to ogrum to acelerate your STR 9 at heroic, but they already can use two handed weapons in one hand so not needed)

1 Like

Considering a standard smoke grenade only has a 3" AOE, lasts for 1 round and costs 5 gc (see IKRPG, p. 264), a smoke bombardier round that has a 4" AOE, lasts for 1d3+1 rounds and costs only 2 gc more gives me a lot of misgivings indeed.

The AOE is not given here, but otherwise the same thoughts apply as for the smoke round above: A standard acid bomb has a 3" AOE, does not cause a cloud effect, and inflicts a POW 12 acid damage roll as well as the Corrosion continuous effect, but costs 40 gc (see IKRPG, p. 297). Having all of these effects (presumably, since the AOE was not stated), but for 1d3+1 rounds, as well as strangle gas effects, for only +10 gc more fills me with even more misgivings.

1 Like

The last two paragraphs contradict each other: If the chainsword auto-hits on subsequent attacks in the same activation, then these hits cannot generate additional critical hits, as no attack rolls are made.

I’d also strongly suggest looking at the scrap saw in Urban Adventure, p. 29, which is basically this weapon already, and to compare with the buzzsaw-like rip saw in Kings, Nations, Gods, p. 197, which is a slightly different take on this design but meant for heavy steamjacks, and thus gets its POW of 6.

1 Like

Sounds reasonable and I like it.

I based most of my chainsaw weapons on the Renegade’s Shredder (the upgraded “combat” version of the Scrap Saw), that has both Critical Shred and Sustained Attack. While it does have some funky rules interactions, I still thinks it kind of works out.