Language list in IK: Requiem

Having been playing the IK: Requiem campaign setting for over a year now, my biggest gripe is that there is not a comprehensive list of languages in the setting. The following is a list of the languages I have found referenced, either in the campaign setting, monsternomicon, or somewhere else.

Cygnaran
Llaelese
Ordic
Scharde Tongue
Khadoran
Sulese
Molgur
Molgur-Trul
Molrur-Og
Gobberish
Bogrinese
Shyr
Thrallspeak
Satyxi
Grun (Farrow)
Idrian
Quor-Og
Kworak
Orgoth
Caspian
Khardic
Ryn
Thurian
Tordoran
Dreggi

The languages are a mess in this setting. In the Monsternomicon some Farrow are listed as speaking “Common” and the Deathless lists Caspian, Khardic, Ryn, Thurian, and Tordoran, which I haven’t even seen referenced anywhere else.
In the core book, Rhul Dwarves don’t even have a language section, and there are several entries in Monsternomicon that lack Languages as well. We know that the Slaughterhouse can’t speak, but the line item for Languages is missing, whereas with other creatures it is just “–”.
In the core book under Humans - Khador it calls out that the Umbreans are a culturally distinct group, which assumes a unique language, yet doesn’t specifically mention the language.

I’d really like to see a comprehensive language list produced, with notes indicating which people(s) generally speak it and where it is primarily spoken. Having party members that don’t all share the same languages makes it interesting for role playing but when players and the DM don’t even know what languages are potentially available, everything just gets homogenized for the sake of ease.

The older FMF/2d6 edition was a bit bulkier and included this list of languages:

Caspian Languages

• Caspian (extinct)
  • Cygnaran (Sulese is the same language but they don’t like to call it Cygnaran)
  • Llaelese
  • Ordic
  • Sharde

Khurzic Languages

• Khurzic (extinct)
  • Khadoran
  • Kossite
  • Umbrean

Molgur Languages

• Molgur
  • Gobberish (Gobbers)
  • Molgur-Og (Ogrun)
  • Molgur-Trul (Trollkin)

Morridane Languages

• Morridane (extinct)
  • Idrian
  • Thurian

Rhulic

Shyr (Iosians)

• Aeric (Nyss)

Five Cant and Iron Roads Cant

Those are the old, now extinct predecessors of the modern day Cygnaran, Khadoran, Llaelese and Ordic, as spoken in the days of the Orgoth. The Deathless remembers the languages as they were spoken during his living life.

2 Likes

Thurian and Tordoran are modern languages, though it would be appropriate to say the Deathless speaks older versions. The GM’s Toolkit has a list of languages on pages 35-39 and some description. Its worth noting that Goetz can geek out on linguistics a bit (as can I - linguistics degree and all that), and the languaes are organized into families. For my part (freelancer since B&B), I brought that out when writing the Satyxis race for 5e and creating a few pieces of vocabulary.

2 Likes

The GM toolkit that came from the first Kickstarter has a list of languages of the iron kingdoms. It is available on the website for sale

I have emailed them asking for them to please include the toolkit to the book of DLC that is being produced for the new Kickstarter.

1 Like

To add a couple…

Rhul-Runic (religious Rhulic) & Dohl-Rhulic (everyday/spoken Rhulic)
Havaati, Kadesh, Soresh (Skorne dialects)
Quor-Gar (Gatormen)
Blaati (Efaarit)
Language of the Giants (no name given, variant of ‘Bemoth’, perhaps)
Blighted Aeric (no official name given, written only, Everblight’s corruption of Aeric to suit his purposes)
T’Kra (language of the dragons)

Apologies if I repeated any.

2 Likes