Does the aura from the positive charge spell have an effect on another jack in its range that also has a positive charge spell cast on it?

Situation description. We have two jacks A and B. A positive charge spell was cast on both jacks. Jacks A and B are less than 3’’ from each other. Jacks A and B get the effect from the spell based on: target friendly Faction Cohort model gains +2 to melee attack and melee damage rolls. Second part of spell description: Within 3’ of the affected Cohort model, other friendly Faction models gain +2 to melee attack and melee damage rolls. That is, this spell has two effects: direct on the jack and aura. Does the aura from Jack A affect Jack B and vice versa?

1 Like

They don’t stack, as far as I know.
Rule Priority says that “unless otherwise specified, multiple instances of the same effect(… effects with the same name) affecting a model are not cumulative.”

Because Jack B is already affected by positive charge, jt doesn’t get to be affected by model A’s positive charge and visa versa.

Next time, just cast it on the first jack (A), then when jack B gets to within 3 inches, it will gain the buff.

Disclaimer: I am not a PP official.

This two effects comes from one spell but work in different ways: aura and effect acting directly on the jack. Of course, these two effects produce the same results but on different targets.

In either case, the effect is “Positive Charge.”

And, per Rule Priority:

Disgruntled-Tom’s answer is correct: they don’t stack, for the reason described above. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I understand this provision. Positive Charge has two different effects with the same result. In that rule priority is write: multiple instance of the same effect. It doesn’t say there: multiple instances of the same spell. For example we have two spells that gives cover. In this case, it is obvious that the effect of these spells which is cover is not cumulative.

Ya, I get what you’re saying. It’s normal to trip up on the use of “effect” in this section, compared with other areas of the rulebook, and general usage of the word. This is compounded by positive charge having two triggers causing two different effects within the spell.

Another way to break down the spell is like this:
Named Effect: Positive Charge.
Trigger 1: spell is cast on a model.
Trigger 2: model being within 3 inches of model on which positive charge was cast.
Effect of the Named Effect: +2 to melee attack and damage.

To a normal person, it might seem like both A and B models would get the benefit of positive charges first trigger and second trigger. Except, it doesn’t work that way, because the priority rule is talking about Named Effects.

The word “Effect” in the rule priority case isn’t describing the effect a spell may have or how it triggers. Instead, it is saying positive charge can’t buff attack and damage on model B when the trigger occurs because another named effect of the same name is already doing so (positive charge is already cast on model B). That the effect of increasing attack/damage is coming from a different trigger or different part of the effect named Positive Charge doesn’t matter. What matters is that the effect is coming from a spell named Positive Charge. And you cant benefit from a Named Effect twice at the same time.

1 Like

Ok. So I understand that in my example with two different spells that provide cover, named effect is cover not names of that spells?

Edited

Wait, I read your question wrong. I would say no, cover is not the named effect.

Which is why Cover has a rule that explicitly states it does not stack with itself. You can have cover from a wall, and cover from the named effect Dig In!, and if the wall disappeared, you would still have cover from Dig In!.

So in that case cover is not named effect. That means that we have two different name effect: spell A and spell B. So in that case there must be clarification that cover does not stack. Is that correct?

That is my understanding.

This is why you can stack +2 to damage from Rage and Positive charge, or in Cygnar Storm Legion, Positive Charge and Electrify.

You can (1) put Positive Charge on A and Electrify on B. Model B would get +4 to damage. Or (2) put Positive Charge and Electrify on A for +4 damage to A and +2 to B. Note, Electrify is an upkeep, so that can only be on one of your jacks at a time.

Now this is clear for me.

1 Like

Here’s a quick rule of thumb for deciding what is and is not an effect.

Just imagine your opponent asked you “Wait, hang on, where did that [ X ] come from?”

And when you answer, “Oh, that’s because I …”, that is your effect. :grin:

2 Likes

Now this is even more clear for me :slight_smile: Thanks Michael

1 Like