Disengaging and Flight

So if I’m reading things correctly, as long as a model with flight is not engaged when it begins it’s movement, it can move through any number of enemy models and still get its combat action.

If that’s true, then how is everyone handling flying warbeasts? I seem to recall that this exact interaction was nerfed to not work way back at the start of Mk II. How are we back to this place again?

1 Like

Your understanding of the rule is correct.

I can’t speak for other players, but I’m handling this by charging Azrael and every Angelius/Neraph I have at my opponent’s caster the first chance I get.

3 Likes

Been tossing around theorycraft about screening landing spots instead of making walls of dudes, but have yet to face flight spam to see if it works for sure

I guess running to engage still works. Better than before, actually, because in earlier editions, the warbeast would often accept taking a free strike and then carry on as usual. Now it can’t unless it also has Unstoppable, so the opponent needs to at least reconsider their activation order to get rid of that chaff infantry dude or two.

Ironically, or perhaps just counterintuitively, this makes models with smaller melee ranges better at tying down enemy models with Flight.

With 360° melee range, a 2" weapon gives the enemy model a larger “bubble” that they can continue to operate in without losing their combat action.

2 Likes

Good point. Although this has always been true to some extent, in earlier editions, most models had only a 180° arc so the enemy model had to operate within that (a sliver of the base needed to stay within LOS). And, with old formation rules you could sandwich a model that had a 1" melee range between two Doom Reavers at their max 2" melee distance, forcing the enemy to take a free strike no matter which direction they were heading. With Mk4 unit movement, this is no longer as easily done.

On the other hand, choirboys or Kossite Woodsmen or whatever can now tie up models because the quality of the engaging model doesn’t matter.