Combined attacks and dual attack

So, this is a situation that I have had come up a number of times with assault reavers. The combined ranged and melee attack rules both contain similar wording:

Does this section literally mean that a unit with CRA, such as the assault reavers, is able to make melee and ranged attacks in any order across the entire unit, or is this just an observation that CRA’s sometime break the normal activation sequence of a unit? I’ve been playing it literally, and some of my opponents have not been entirely convinced. It would be nice to get some clarification before I take it to a tournament.

2 Likes

Yes you ignore the rule that prevents this ordinarily. You ignore it completely and have the freedom to combine or individually make all the melee and ranged (because this unit has dual attack) attacks in any order you choose.

2 Likes

Just seconding Septic. That interpretation seems correct to me!

In general: the rules are very literal. There are certainly times when half a sentence somewhere can be taken wholly out of context and used to derive a nonsensical result, but the Combined [ X ] Attack rules are pretty clear-cut: models with those advantages can group their attacks however they choose, in any order they choose. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes, though in practice I’d try to group them logically. Everyone makes melee attacks and then do the combined ranged attack, or do the CRA first and then melee, depending on situation.

1 Like

I try, but with skewer on the unit, you sometimes need to do some pretty obnoxious attack ordering for best results. Eg, clear melee with a couple attacks, CRA to skewer, kill with more melee, and then whatever ranged attacks are left

1 Like