Are these forums DOA

I"ve given it a few days, and there’s been basically no active users other than myself and one other person. The mods and rules gurus are non-existant, and the site is very obviously unfinished. Just seems like another rushed out PP good idea fairy like the rules wiki.
I’d like this to work, but when you have rules questioned unanswered for several days and no active users it’s hard to see it happening.
Plus, wasn’t this supposed to be the official place to find answers to rules questions? How is one supposed to do that when they aren’t answered?

1 Like

Definitely not DOA, but just taking a little time to get up and running. I’m seeing mods being active an responding to questions being asked. Might not be universal, but it’s working and growing. Took me a couple days to get approval to log in, so it’s just a little slow. It’ll grow with time, and people are already migrating. Patience is a virtue :3

2 Likes

We’ll have to see. I’d give it another week or so.

Patience is a virtue. Amen!

1 Like

Looks like it is taking a couple days to get people verified. Took me three days, but then again I am basically a living breathing NPC.

Probably, at least for MonPoc. As far as I can tell any functions this place hopes to achieve are better served by other community resources.

1 Like

I’m not 100% certain how to quote other posts yet, so bear with me.

1. No, they’re not DOA. Having an actual forum-style place is infinitely better than the “Good luck finding something if the algorithm decides otherwise” mess that is Facebook, and the “blink and you’ll miss it” highly insular discussions on Discord. :slight_smile:

2. I don’t know if this is supposed to be the new rules-answering place. Relax. This place has been open for, like, three days. :slight_smile: Rules questions rarely get answered same-day. That being said, I haven’t seen any rules questions, so…

3. Hey, She3pdog: I noticed that roughly your very first post on here was “Hey forget this place and come talk on the DIscord.” So…that’s not exactly behavior conducive to having the community congregate here. :stuck_out_tongue:

Speaking solely from my own experiences: I was soured on the Discord years ago for two main reasons. One, conversations are unduly difficult to follow. You can’t easily find information on a given topic and really understand the thrust of the conversation without a lot of work.

Two, because there are only dozen or so hardcore posters that dominate the discussion. There’s a very serious ultra-bleeding-edge bent to the opinions there, and that’s…not representative of all viewpoints. It’s off-putting. It’s got a real “You can’t sit at the table with the cool kids” vibe to it, and that’s not welcoming.

Anyway…

6 Likes

All sentiments you’ve stated on Facebook, so this conversation isn’t exactly unique to here. I replied to a topic about the Discord, but my posts have been resources from SmashU and a singular rules question. Your experience on Discord is certainly either an exception or a relic of a meta past. The overwhelming majority of the people there are also the ones responding on Facebook and Reddit, and we tend to be a pretty welcoming community. This forum really just seems like yet another place to check rather than any kind of unifying force which is more frustrating than anything else. I’ve also gotten zero response from the mods about pinning posts, so if this place does start getting busy, a lot of important community resources are just going to get buried.

1 Like

I hate to say it, but this place is probably gonna have all the problems you’ve pointed out about the other places.
Rules questions? Check out the search functionality. I did. It’s not great. The tag system isn’t good either. You can’t even tag something as a rules question.

3 Likes

@SHE3PDOG I shadow the Discord and I drop in to take the pulse every now and then.

… snip literally about a thousand words that I just wrote and then deleted, because it sounded more like a rant than anything else …

The long and short is: I see the same old problems I’ve always seen. The discussion is impossible to follow from an outsider’s perspective. There are too many acronyms and nicknames and a severe lack of explanation. I am a very experienced MonPoc 2.0 player and yet I still can’t decipher some of the nicknames or figure out why a context-and-explanation-free “Here’s my list” post generates dozens of “Oh wow that’s such an awesome list!” replies.

The implicit and possibly even unconscious bias toward the latest-and-greatest cutting-edge “meta” is problematic and off-putting to someone who does not engage with the game that way.

@Platinumcorgi Give it time. I suspect the necessary tags and subforums will be added. And, I will say that the search functionality on here is still about 12.7 million times better than on Facebook. Good luck finding anything on there unless you have a direct link already saved. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Sorry you feel that way. I’ve done a lot to try to bridge that gap with the MonPoc 101 articles on SmashU, and they seem to be extremely popular. If you have suggestions for other helpful resources or would like clarification on specific items, please let me know as I would be happy to try to make everything a little more transparent.

1 Like

Yeah, I would really rather have the old forums. Easy to see and track, easy to find things, well organized.

1 Like

DoA? Probably not. Im not a fan of this platform, mostly with the intrrface though. I liked the standard forum where everything was organized into a tree structure, and this one seema all over the place, but its probably just a matter of figuring it out and getting used to it.

2 Likes

Once the dust settles verifying people, I think some engagement from PP specific to these forums will help make things more active, too. For example, a periodic ‘Ask us Anything’ or sneak peak teases of things, etc.

I only just got verified. Its going to take some time for the community to grow again.

Even if this place becomes the place they list: New releases. Rules changes. Events. Podcast stuff - thats a great resource.

1 Like

I hope these forums succeed. Anything would be better than discord. But faction-specific forums would be nice.

1 Like

Faction specific forums for MonPoc don’t seem particularly useful to me. Maybe agenda specific could get some traction though.

1 Like

Yea, agenda specific would help with the clutter.
Faction specific is probably necessary for the other games

1 Like

If you guys have a list of tags you’d like to see please let me know. Users without a certain amount of posts and interactions are not allowed to create new tags. We also want to avoid tags that use nicknames etc.

Anything you want to see let me know

1 Like