Are the "old" forums (privateerpressforums.com) still up?

1 Like

Nope. Tis a sad day.

I also really hope that they backed up and organized all of the old Infernal rulings.

Is there any “official” comment or notice somewhere that they’ve been taken down? Just asking as I’m not “in” all the various social media channels.

1 Like

Eeek. I guess the next question is “how much stuff was backed up?”

Were they officially taken offline? The 2012/d6 IKRPG section had a ton of homebrew stuff that would be nice to have still. The No Quarter index is still quite relevant too.

1 Like

Not that I’m aware of.

I have a local backup of that page and I’m using it as source for the Timeline and Fiction topic in the Iron Kingdoms category.

edit: I have a backup of the Chronological Fiction thread, which is what I thought you were referring to, but it now occurs to me that it probably is not.

1 Like

Oooh, that’s a good question indeed.
@PPS_AdamO

1 Like

Indeed they are gone, I will ask about what was saved and not saved but that may take some time to get answered.

2 Likes

That is…really unfortunate. Especially that no notice was given.

The “old” forums were a treasure trove of hobby guides, Seacat lore, developer commentary, digital resources, and…honestly, too much to even summarize.

What a waste.

1 Like

I just tried. The site loaded just fine. Eventually it too will pass. :frowning:

1 Like

It’s probably using cookies and cache to generate it. Once those expire/are cleared it should be gone.

Thank you. I hope there’s a backup or four sitting around.

Hey, twenty years was a good run! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Taking it down with no notice was an incredibly bad move. I get there is no sense having this place and that still up, but you should have given at lease an announcement and some time for us to retrieve stuff. You have basically deleted large swaths of community content built around this game. I just started a 2d6 game because I feel it far superior to Requiem both mechanically and lore wise. I relied on the homebrew content of those from the past, as well as helpful tips for running the game that the past creators, many who no longer work for PP. If there is any way to reup it for a short time so that the community can recover content that would be helpful. If not then, then my faith in PP and their decisions of late is continued to be confirmed .

1 Like

To be fair: those forums had been all but dead for years. I know because — besides sporadic rules forum posts and Morgan Coalburn’s homebrew thread — The Captain and I were the only two people who replied to posts for the past couple years. :slightly_smiling_face:

The figurative writing had been on the wall for the last six years. I’d truly be surprised if those forums had more than single-digit numbers of daily visitors in months.

2 Likes

Hey, I still did rules stuff too!
But, yeah. It was a ghost town.

I actually seriously thought about mentioning you too, but decided to keep it brief. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

My issue is not with them taking it down. This forum is much nicer and more modern looking. It is taking it down with no notice. Just because i wasnt postong didnt mean i or many others werent using it as a resource. Over the last 6 months i have been on there quite a lot preparing for my game. Just a week heads up saying “hey save what you want to save” would have been the bare minimum they could have done.

2 Likes

I am not unsympathetic to your cause. :slight_smile: I’ll give you a slightly different perspective to consider, though:

The forums were a nonessential feature provided free of charge, at nonzero cost to the company. The forums were effectively unused for the past 2-3 years. They were put on life support fully six years ago after the large reorganization in March 2017.

Stuff on the Internet disappears all the time. I think it’s fair to say that everyone posting on here has more than sufficient experience with technology to know – at least on paper – that if they have files or resources they care about, they need to that the responsibility upon themselves and back up that data.

That being said:

Have you tried the Internet Wayback Machine?

I have, alas its not as searchable to find things. My perspective is that one more week of keeping it up would not have unduly hurt the company. And it seems they didnt respect their community enough to even mention that they were taken down until this thread. Once again what is frustrating is the lack of communication. You could say “well its there stuff they can do what they want” which is entirly true. However, as you say, let me give you a slightly different perspective. A company with extremely poor communication skills continues to alienate fans by not improving those same skills.

1 Like