Admonition and Unit Charges

After a unit is placed from a charge, do they still get a charge attack if the model charged moves out of melee of the initial model the performed the charge? If yes has Admo lost most of its utility against units?

1 Like

Admo isn’t what it used to be against units.

Taking away an enemy’s charge bonus ain’t nothing. And with smaller units, reducing the number of incoming attacks and pulling the enemy further in (because if you Admonition-move backward, you force your opponent to place units further forward to be able to attack your Admonition model) can be used, it just has to be used subtly.
It also occurs to me that if an enemy is charging your warjack with a unit, you can wait until the last model in the unit is placed, and then trigger Admonition to move out of the whole unit’s range, or out of range of as many models as possible. Because the rule says or is placed. You just have to hope your opponent moves all the models in a unit’s charge before beginning the attacks.

There’s a bit of misinformation here - all models are placed simultaneously with the movement. I do not believe that you can choose to attack before all models are placed.

1 Like

With recent rule clarifications/changes, this is correct. And surrounding a jack with admonition and boxing it in is totally a thing that happened to me the other night.

3 Likes

As a note, if the Charge target is no longer available members of the unit can redirect their attacks to another model. But, they won’t be Charged attacks unless the initial Charger is engaging them as well.

2 Likes

Don’t get you there. If the charged Model moves away after the chargemovement the rest of the attacks on this unit are still charge attacks.( agains models in the smae unit as the chargetarget) Charge counts as charge when the Charging model ends its movement engaging the charged model. Which it did. Cause admonition triggers after movement of the charging model ended. Even if the initial charging model doesn’t engage anything after the admonition model moved away.
Sorry if I did get sth wrong. I am not natural engliosh speaking

2 Likes

I’m not sure you could, since models have to be placed not just in range, but in line of sight of the first model to move. “These models must be placed so they have line of sight to the trooper that moved.” (Unit Movement) Unless the model with Admonition was engaged already and failed to move before.

1 Like

It’s possible. (Excuse the Warcaster models, but all 3 small bases here are within 2" of each other, with LoS, blocking the large base from moving.)

4 Likes

You’re right. but that also exposes the charging unit to be counterattacked in the next turn, and breaks up Shield Wall (as a Menoth player who uses a lot of Cinerators, this gets a lot of my attention) and can be prevented by having a supporting unit near to warjack to break up LOS at its rear. The opponent has to be willing to take risks too.
I’m certainly going to keep Admonition as part of my Hellyth gunline.

They are 2 separate things.
[The charging model ends its movement] Admonition Trigger
If not then [the rest of the unit is placed simultaniosly] Admonition Triggers

So the boxing out could only happen if the player with admonition chooses not to trigger it on the initial movement.

Patiently waits for infernal confirmation or declaration that I’m a loon

1 Like

Important context regarding the timing of trooper placement:

5 Likes

Yeah, it was recently ruled on here. Unfortunately, there isn’t a way to search and see everything chronologically very easily yet.

This is a thing a friend regularly does to me. I look forward to finding out the ruling on this one.

It is 100% possible, per the link Leonard Dukes provided a couple posts above. :slight_smile:

In brief, there is no timing chart difference between the advancing model ending its movement and the placement of all the models in the unit.

As for gameplay ramifications: this just means units are good at something that solos and other independent models are not good at. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Hello NewLunarRepublic,

Just in case there was still confusion on this, I’ll give definitive answers. Thanks again to all that linked rules and helped others with their questions.

The unit is placed as the moving member ends its movement, not allowing a timing window for triggers between its movement and the placement of the rest of the unit.

As soon as the moving member of a unit completes its move and is engaging its target, the charge is considered successful regardless of what happens after. Some examples of situations where the charge remains a success despite circumstances evolving:

If the charged model moves/is moved out of engagement
If the charging model is repulsed, knocked down, or otherwise moved out of engagement
If the charging model is destroyed by a defensive strike/counterblast/etc.

In the case of a model using admonition movement away from the charging model; the charging model made a successful charge and if no longer engaging the initial target may still make their attacks against other eligible targets. If the admonition-ed model moves out of engagement with the charging model but remains engaged by other members of the unit, those members would still get their charge bonus against that target.

Does this diminish the power of admonition against units? Yes! But it of course still has value. The unit can only wrap around if they can get the initial model close enough to the target model and there aren’t other models blocking placement/LOS of the rest of unit. Cohorts, casters, and solos can still be moved away from without additional complications.

-Erik

6 Likes

Thank you very much! This helps a lot.

Thanks for the clear answer! Very interesting. I would point out though that the unit charge rules are currently missing the sentence that allows the charging model to redirect it’s charge attack, which has led to some confusion around here.

Edit: Rules pic from Single Model charge rules, not unit charge rules. It gets confusing with the quick link at the top.

2 Likes

Yeah, rereading the unit charge rules, there is no mention of redirecting a melee attack if the target moves away.